Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thoughts on ice guard on a pole barn that will be heated( mid 50s), well insulated and have a vapor barrier. I didnt put it on said building, which has a 6/12 roof, and im started to obsess that i didnt put it on.
I live in NE ohio.

·
Registered
12,096 Posts
Depending on the insulation, how warm you keep it, and what kind of snow and ice we get, you could see a problem, not likely right away, but under the right conditions you could start to get ice damming and water backing up/leaks. Here in Michigan, it's a must have. I have doubled the amount of ice guard on our last few roofs, and used the real heavy/good stuff. I hate leaks.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
No one had this until just recently. Now it is a must have. If there is proper ventilation and insulation in a pole barn you should be ok. I would get a roof rake to keep the snow buildup off the lower few feet.
You can still pull the lower runs off and put the ice guard on. When we did our roof we put it on the entire house and all buildings. Not that much more money. Plus I keep the roof raked.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No one had this until just recently. Now it is a must have. If there is proper ventilation and insulation in a pole barn you should be ok. I would get a roof rake to keep the snow buildup off the lower few feet.
You can still pull the lower runs off and put the ice guard on. When we did our roof we put it on the entire house and all buildings. Not that much more money. Plus I keep the roof raked.
that was my thought, My house was built in 2000 and has no ice guard or drip edge, not a single icicle or damn. I just finished the building two months ago and a tree fell across it so it needs to be repaired and would be feasible to do at this time...

·
Registered
12,096 Posts
Yup, like he said, roof rake. It's that melt/thaw ice buildup and damming that causes the leaks. Shingles are already down now, so it is what it is.

I can tell you that around here, we got 140 inches of snow last year, and people had roof leaks and water damage up the wazoo. As mentioned, it's code, and I go two row's (double the code) just for peace of mind. Leaks suck, so does water damage.

·
Registered
12,096 Posts
Didn't see the tree damage part of your message. If it's no big bother, I'd install it. Takes little effort, especially if the insurance is paying for it.

·
Banned
16,548 Posts
You have to either get the snow and ice off the gutters and a foot or 2 in front of them or have ice shield. My house didnt have it when i bought it and i put on a metal roof, there was plenty or rotten wood on the facia and roof.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
We replaced a 20 year old roof 2 years ago. Striped it down to the wood. It was all good. Using a roof rake was the key. But we did put ice guard under the new shingles.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts