Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In a full tube chassis is there any difference in strength between a one piece roof halo bar and a 3 piece design with 2 door bars and a windshieldroof bar?

·
7.86 @ 8800DA 3365lb 275s
4,502 Posts
In a full tube chassis is there any difference in strength between a one piece roof halo bar and a 3 piece design with 2 door bars and a windshieldroof bar?
i like the one piece A-pilar design personally i think it is stronger. then there is the type that has an eyebrow bar but the A-pilar is interupted by the dashbar i like that as well but have not done one that way yet.

·
aka Nova Joe
2,891 Posts
i like the one piece A-pilar design personally i think it is stronger. then there is the type that has an eyebrow bar but the A-pilar is interupted by the dashbar i like that as well but have not done one that way yet.
x2 I build them both ways with the pillar bars being continuous past the roof line. I won't build a "halo" style cage...Seen too many fail at that joint

·
Registered
516 Posts
Is there any chance that you have a pic or two of both styles?

·
Registered
5,511 Posts

Welded and coped correctly, there is no significant advantage between the two configurations. If it fails at the joint, that a application error, not a design error. Rock Crawlers use the halo design in a lot of their rigs and they are very often on rolled and flipped. And both styles hold up well when constructed well... So don't fear the halo, just be careful who you have construct it...

·
Registered
760 Posts
i dont care for the halo design at all....rock crawlers werent going 200mph when they rolled either...but what do i know?

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I don't think there's a difference between a halo or the one piece a pillar bar's. Seen some pretty horrific crashes with both designs. But I do know a pretty well known chassis builder that build's car's and the first car he built with the dash bar interupting the a pillar bar crashed hard and it broke all apart there , and he will never build another one that way, and I don't blame him. Alot of heat on that one area..

·
Registered
5,511 Posts
i dont care for the halo design at all....rock crawlers werent going 200mph when they rolled either...but what do i know?
Yeah... So? Rock Crawlers, Sand Cars and Off Road racing vehicles are on their tops a LOT more than drag cars and "speed" is not the only factor that comes into play. Rock Crawlers fall off things; Sand Cars jump off things and Off Road racing cars do it all with speed... But I've only owned, built and worked on all of them so what do I know?

My "opinion" says that both designs will do what they were intended to do if built properly. But that's just the Aerospace Engineer in me talking with decades of personal experience mixed in... But again, what do I know?

Peace.

·
Registered
760 Posts
no reason to take it so person dude, damn! and since we are talking opinions i still say that the halo sucks..you can run a halo in your car and i will a one piece pillar in mine ..which i am, and we will both be happy.

peace.

·
Registered
5,511 Posts
no reason to take it so person dude, damn! and since we are talking opinions i still say that the halo sucks..you can run a halo in your car and i will a one piece pillar in mine ..which i am, and we will both be happy.

peace.
I did not take it personal, that's why I said "opinion" and "peace" at the end of my reply.

I was just providing more information about how I came to my "opinion" so the other people reading this thread can see that it's not a "uneducated opinion."

Zilla out.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Are you saying that the only difference between the two is the dash bar? Just trying to understand.

·
7.86 @ 8800DA 3365lb 275s
4,502 Posts
Are you saying that the only difference between the two is the dash bar? Just trying to understand.
between the one piece A-pilar and the dashbar interupted type? pretty much yea. the one piece is obvious goes from the main hoop bends down at the top of the a-pilar bends down again at the bottom of the a-pilar down to the floor. the interupted is the same but stops at the dashbar and is welded there then another tube welds to the bottom side of the dashbar and goes to the floor.

hopefully that makes sense...lol

·
Registered
708 Posts
so are you saying this is a good way to build it in this build or not?

·
Registered
516 Posts
Here's a shot I found (on Curley's website) of the one piece a pillar, with the dash bar interrupting them, then continuing to the floor with a straight bar.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts