Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone make rollers for the rear bottom of a trailer? I'm having a hard time scraping the ground with mine pulling into the driveway which is uphill. If I back in, it tears up the driveway. If I pull in straight it scrapes the street. I'm really mostly concerned about tearing up my trailer though.

Does anyone make something for this, or do I need to fab some up with some heavy duty low profile casters? If casters would you suggest swivel ones or solid?

Thanks guys

·
Registered
362 Posts
I am a machinist, coincidently I just made a set for myself yesterday, all solid aluminum rollers with half in stainless axles and fasteners, I could post a pic but not able to until early next week at best, leaving town to go racing, they are very nice, can make you a set if interested, just pm me with a number. Tony

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I found some rigid casters on McMaster Carr's website that are rated for 800 lbs each. I think the total weight of the loaded trailer is around 8000. Can I assume that the rear might see somewhere around the same weight as the tongue? If so, these should work. For $20, it can't hurt to try.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
T Hall, thanks for the suggestion. I was thinking about something very similar to that. Did you use bearings, or just clearance a bit for a thru bolt? I'm no stranger to a machineshop either, and I need to get something in there pretty quickly. I'm moving into a new house this weekend, and just found out today it scrapes pretty hard. Yes, probably should have figured that out BEFORE buying the house :) but I'll deal with it.

·
Registered
638 Posts
They came on my 48ft Vintage, Pat Wheatly in KY sold it to me, it was thier demo, I am very grateful I have them, I had the all wheels off the ground once with the full load on the rollers!
Check with Pat, very easy to talk to.

·
Registered
3,539 Posts
They're called "bogie" (sometimes "bogey") wheels. Very useful. Trailer supply places have them. My trailer guy put them on for like $100.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I just used 2 1/2 in dia by 6in long, drilled them .515 clearance for 1/2 shoulder bolts. They dont need bearings no more than they will hit. If they hit.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts