Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently switched to a JW powerglide case with a rollerized tailshaft. When I went to install the recommended nitrided yoke (STRANGE) there was a problem. The only way to get the yoke to go onto the output shaft is to force it on. I called JW and they said this was normal. Now when I say force, I mean tapping with a mallet pretty hard. The driveshaft will not float at all. I did try driving the car around the parking lot just to set how it would do. When I got back and put the car on the lift the driveshaft would not come out of the car. It bound against the rear pinion flange. The rear wheels could barely be spun by hand. I ended up using a 2X4 and a hammer to drive the driveshaft forward enough to clear the pinion flange, then did the same to remove it from the transmission. Once the driveshaft was remove the rear wheels spun freely. Is there somethiing special that needs to be done to a rollerized set up? The old Strange yoke slides on just fine. Any thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
19,741 Posts
Is it that the yoke is tight on the output shaft splines or just on the roller bearing inside the tailhousing? Have you removed the tailhousing and tried it separately on each yoke to see if its the bearing or an alignment problem within the tailhousing to output shaft?
Also measure the exact OD of each yoke. The nitrided yoke should be 1.497-1.499 max . Is it a JW tailhousing or a dedenbear tailhousing?

Hutch

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The case and tailhousing are both JW. Everything is new and the nitrided yoke measured 1.499. The old strange that goes in fine was a few tousandths larger on the OD. The yoke slides on snug and get tighter as its "forced on". This is before even reaching the housing. I may try contacting strange to get some feedback from them. In the meantime I'll have the tailhouse removed to check the yoke that way,get the alignment checked and see where that gets me just to be safe.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Loosened the tail housing and the nitrated slip yoke still will not go in without being forced. (now removed from driveshaft). The non nitrated Strange yoke (on the drive shaft now) slides in easily with the tail shaft loosened. I can spin the rear axles by turning the drive shaft. Couldn't do that with the nitrated yoke on the drive shaft installed in car.

The tail housing seems to be alinged. The nitrated yoke is hard to slip on from the very start. Only goes on about an inch and then needs to be forced the rest of the way.

·
Banned
71,969 Posts
Sounds like the "spline contact" is too tight. Too much of an interference fit.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I am currently having the same problem with my Strange pinion yoke. It slid on at the start but, got tight very quickly when I tightened the pinion nut. Now, I have a 'moly pinion yoke with galled splines and burrs. I e-mailed Strange and here's the reply -

MIKE
THE DAMAGE INSIDE LOOKS TO ME LIKE IT HAPENED AFTER THE YOKE WAS PRODUCED, AS THE DENT LOOKS SHINNY. IDON’T KNOW WHEN THIS MAY HAVE HAPPENED. I SPOKE WITH THE HEAD ENGINEER ABOUT YOUR PHOTOS AND HE SAID THE SPLINE COULD BE CLEANED UP WITH A FILE TO ALLOWING IT TO GO DOWN OVER THE SPLINE OF THE PINION. THE SPLINE STRENGTH WILL NOT BE COMPROMISED BY DOING THIS.
LET ME KNOW IF THERE ARE PROBLEMS.
MR.ED
Ed Nitzki
Strange Engineering
847-663-1701 x 4791

So now I get to sit there and file on the new yoke until it fits?

·
Registered
245 Posts
I am currently having the same problem with my Strange pinion yoke. It slid on at the start but, got tight very quickly when I tightened the pinion nut. Now, I have a 'moly pinion yoke with galled splines and burrs. I e-mailed Strange and here's the reply -

MIKE
THE DAMAGE INSIDE LOOKS TO ME LIKE IT HAPENED AFTER THE YOKE WAS PRODUCED, AS THE DENT LOOKS SHINNY. IDON’T KNOW WHEN THIS MAY HAVE HAPPENED. I SPOKE WITH THE HEAD ENGINEER ABOUT YOUR PHOTOS AND HE SAID THE SPLINE COULD BE CLEANED UP WITH A FILE TO ALLOWING IT TO GO DOWN OVER THE SPLINE OF THE PINION. THE SPLINE STRENGTH WILL NOT BE COMPROMISED BY DOING THIS.
LET ME KNOW IF THERE ARE PROBLEMS.
MR.ED
Ed Nitzki
Strange Engineering
847-663-1701 x 4791

So now I get to sit there and file on the new yoke until it fits?
We just tried that tonight. It helps some but, still way to tight to go in. It appears that Strange may have an issue with the yoke.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
We just tried that tonight. It helps some but, still way to tight to go in. It appears that Strange may have an issue with the yoke.
I hope you have better luck in getting them to help than I did. You saw the response they gave me. I've been a good customer and have bought front & rear brakes, axles, spool, trans yoke (which mine fit fine) and the pinion yoke which didn't fit. So, I either make it fit or buy something else. I assume once I start filing on it, there's no getting them to admit any fault................

·
Registered
245 Posts
Talked to Strange and they said they would have to see the yoke. I got it from Jegs, now I have to go through Jegs and they will send back to Strange. I told them there were two or three other posts on YB about there yokes and similar problems. I have also purchased various items through Strange and our shop is a dealer for Strange products.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Talked to Strange and they said they would have to see the yoke. I got it from Jegs, now I have to go through Jegs and they will send back to Strange. I told them there were two or three other posts on YB about there yokes and similar problems. I have also purchased various items through Strange and our shop is a dealer for Strange products.
I hope you let me know the outcome of your dealing with them on this situation. In the meantime, I guess I'm breaking out the file......... Might as well give it try before buying another brand.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Will do. Have another one coming to see if that fits. If not they both go back. Strange said we could run the non nitrated yoke but it would wear.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
They certainly didn't offer to send me another so, at least you've got that going for you. Well anyway, I got the pinion yoke to fit. It took some work with a very small hand file but, it will now slide on. My work with a file on 3 of the splines on the yoke proves to me it was the yoke and not the pinion as it will now slide onto the pinion in any which way I decide to clock it. Good luck with your situation.

·
RED ROCKET
8,635 Posts
strange yoke was tight on my glide as well..bought one from mark williams and it fit perfect.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts