Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
draggin' ass
13,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At what point are Roller Cam Bearings a good idea? What is to be gained from going with roller bearings versus babbitt (SP?) type? I have a standard cam height Little M block, is this suitable for roller bearings? Do they still use regular cam cores and timing set ups or require a bunch of extras that add up?

Lastly, about how much can someone expect to spend on this "upgrade"?

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
From the trends I've seen people seem to be moving back to babbits I just got a iron eagle block with a 55mm core on babbits kind of wishing I went 60mm but maybe on the next one.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Usually the cam tunnel is bored to accept the bearings. I've used them with excellent results. I think they are more beneficial in some motors than others. I can really think of no reason not to use them if that is your desire.

·
Registered
287 Posts
well you can save the oil needed to lubricate the surface so maybe you can cut the rotor capacity down in your pump 5% and see 1-2 hp in that

hp directly from roller bearings has been proven to be nothing,,,

the engine will turn over easier though

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
We machine a lot of blocks for bigger cam cores and we have only done one this past year for roller cam bearings, Most guys have gone to babbit bearings. Babbit bearings will take alot of harmoics out your valve train.

And according to the Prostock guys there is more power to be gained with babbit over roller.

·
Registered
287 Posts
there is more power in a larger cam core,,,,, so if a babbit bearing allows a larger core,, then thats the way to go,,, if you can run a large core,, like 70mm or so,,, or whatever you can fit in the engine lobe/base circle wise,, then go with rollers,, they save oil and like i said,, the engine spins easier

if you introduce oil to a babbit bearing,,, its just the same friction as a roller bearing

·
Registered
79 Posts
Quick question on refreshening and roller bearings.....do you need to remove them or can you leave 'em in and do your normal hose down and reuse with no problem?

·
God's servant Romans 13:4
6,798 Posts
Quick question on refreshening and roller bearings.....do you need to remove them or can you leave 'em in and do your normal hose down and reuse with no problem?
Why would you not change them if you're already torn down?

I can buy them from Ford for $35.00 a set

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Bigger is always better on Cam Dia. With your block its tough to take advantage of it when the rods so close to the cam from the start. If your running a short stroke deal it could be a good upgrade.

I like roller cam bearings in everything.

·
6,798 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
And sometimes they'll make 30 passes before they change them.
Oh B.S. If they have to change cam bearings every 30 passes they have some major issues. I have run big bearing cams with lots of lift (1.??") for seasons and upon tear down the bearings look fine.

·
6,798 Posts
Uh huh! You must be the better builder. Maybe you should call Jon and left him know how you're doing it.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Oh B.S. If they have to change cam bearings every 30 passes they have some major issues. I have run big bearing cams with lots of lift (1.??") for seasons and upon tear down the bearings look fine.
They usually freshen up the big inch pro stock engines around 30 passes. Some less. I do not know if that entails cam bearings, but I imagine it does.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts