Yellow Bullet Forums banner

would you put in a rollcage

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I get my maverick together it should run mid 7's in the 1/8 on motor and high 6's to low 7's on nitrous. I mainly like the anything goes tracks so I could get away without a cage. Then again if I wreck this thing at 90mph a cage seems nice. I am thinking about a 6pt cage. What is your opinion cage or no cage. I am not sure how I want to go

·
El-conquistador, sir
17,435 Posts
Kinda goes along with the helmet rule, if you have a 10 dollar head buy a 10 dollar helmet. Buy the roll bar, money well spent if you need it.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Cage stiffens up the chassis, PLUS keeps you safe. win-win

·
Registered
972 Posts
That is what my DD runs and i will never put a cage in it. If you drive it on the street i would not but if its a track toy i would for sure.

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cage stiffens up the chassis, PLUS keeps you safe. win-win
I am building subframe connectors now and figure the car needs to be stiff so it doesn't warp. I believe a 6pt will certify to 10.00 in the 1/4 as long as its properly installed. That would be around 6.40 in the 1/8 and I doubt this car will ever get past that. although if it did I wouldn't have a problem with it. lol

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would put a 10pt in but that would require cutting the dash in the corners and that is not going to happen.

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
6pt. is good to 11.50, 8pt. is good to 10.00. 10pt. will certify to 8.50's. My car went a little faster with the cage and felt more stable for what its worth.......

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
I've seen nearly as many 12-14 second street cars crash at the track as full race cars. Just cuz its not a 6 second pro mod doesn't mean it can't crash hard. Do the cage.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I was in the same position your in now... I went ahead and put a 10 point in my car because it was much easer & cheaper in the long run.. Glad I did now it's got a 352ci 76mm turbo setup... Needed the 10 point anyway.. Put the down bar tight against the dash so you don't have to cut it..

·
16,312 Posts
I've seen nearly as many 12-14 second street cars crash at the track as full race cars. Just cuz its not a 6 second pro mod doesn't mean it can't crash hard. Do the cage.
Well said! I feel the same way. I have seen a few real slow ones get smacked by the other guy at the big end.

·
Registered
183 Posts
i have a high 6 low 7 second car in the 1/8, i have a 10pt cage. only because you never know. like they say, its better to have it and not need it, than it is to need it and not have it.

·
Banned
14,510 Posts
But those are most likely the only car they own.

I would rather ride my bicycle than deal with a cage in my only car.

Once you put bars in, you are driving a race car on the street, it sucks, nobody can get in, nobdody can get out, you have pipe insulation inside of your fucking car.

I would never do it again.

Tom

·
Banned
14,510 Posts
If you do drive it a lot on the street and no one rides in back....find some friends.

Loser. :)

Tom

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
I've got a full 12 pt cage with a F/C cage around the driver's seat. The car is capable of far more, but to aviod a lot of nhra bs, I'll never go quicker than 10.0s again.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
:confused::confused::confused: Still shocking to see posts like this, in this day and age of easy horsepower/speed.

....... "so I could get away without a cage."

Can ya' "get away" without walking for the rest of your life? How 'bout drinkin' your 3-Squares through a little bendy straw until the day that you die? Anybody feel comfortable with those situations (and many more)? Only a moronic buffoon would answer "yes".

I know the temptation is always there to do it "good enough" but, think hard as to whether this is the area of the build that you'd like to skimp on (versus say, not having those shiny wheels or that fancy paint job.)

Points to ponder, good luck!

---==Temio Williams
Yuba City, CA

1 - 20 of 60 Posts