Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can a roll up barrel door for a shop be narrowed easily? I need a 14.6 wide door. I found a 16 ft wide used door for a couple hundred bucks in the paper. Can it be narrowed? Looks like it can be but I'm just not roll up door experienced at all.

·
Registered
6,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
anyone?

·
Registered
41,196 Posts
It depends on the doors construction. Wouldn't it be easier to face mount it and overlap the wall? I'm sure a good door guy can make it work.

·
Registered
6,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
SASQUATCH RACE TEAM
18,078 Posts
it depends on the door. we narrowed a steel fire door for my brothers building. we had to lay the door out flat then removed the drum. we cut the excess off the with a skill saw and steel cutting blade. the drum was not to bad. we knocked the end cap loose and removed the center shaft and spring asy. then cut then drum back. and reassembled it. it was a fair amount of work. but if the one you are looking at is the light weight one it might not be as bad.

·
Registered
6,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Probably not worth all the work to me. I'll keep looking for what I actually need size wise. Thanks

·
Registered
872 Posts
Surface mount on the inside if you have room, most roll-up doors are surface mounted inside. if you don't have the rails or angle for the ends then it is worth scrap

·
Registered
214 Posts
depends if the screen is all one piece or individual slats. Best bet would be to overlap on both sides if you have the room

·
Registered
6,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I added this 14.6 wide doorway building to an existing building to park a motorhome or trailer in and it is only 15 ft wide total so no way to do much with width. I probably just need to get a 14.6 wide door. Thanks again.

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
A guy told me the springs inside the drum would be a problem and I should pass also. Thanks anyway.
Between the springs, cutting the drum, cutting the slats, drilling out all the end guided, reinstalling all the end guids and cuting and reinstalling the bottom bar..... I'd pass.

The springs are inside the barrel and unless you have worked on these before, it's an easy way to loose fingers.

Door guys are like old railroad men, half of them are missing parts of fingers.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Between the springs, cutting the drum, cutting the slats, drilling out all the end guided, reinstalling all the end guids and cuting and reinstalling the bottom bar..... I'd pass.

The springs are inside the barrel and unless you have worked on these before, it's an easy way to loose fingers.

Door guys are like old railroad men, half of them are missing parts of fingers.

lol no one at our work missing bits of fingers:p

1 - 14 of 14 Posts