Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive noticed quite a few topics latly on roll bars that look like shit.how do shops weld those tight spots?like up in the roof area.is there a rule saying that the weld must be a full 360 ? this is only a question.i dont know.i cant find it in any rule book.i know on a tube car its easy just to remove the fiberglass body during the build.but what or how is it done on a unibody car (mustang or camaro)? is the roof cut off ?

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
either cut the roof off or tac the cage all up and drop it through the floor

·
Registered
411 Posts
its a real PITA, If you are heli arcing it, you need to run small cups and a button on the end of the torch, if you are migging it, you can usually find a way to get a tight spot. We have had to bend a arc welding rod and get it in the spot and turn the machine on to get crazy tight spots.

·
Registered
3,288 Posts
Yes, is needs to be 360 and weld needs to be free of perosity per NHRA, however, I have never seen a tech person inspect every weld. Sometimes they don't even look at the welds. They just make sure all the bars are in the correct position and are of the correct wall thickness. I've seen numerous cages certifiy to 10.00 and 8.50 that had incomplete welds on the main hoop and halo. Try to weld it all the way up, but don't torch a hole in the roof of your car trying either just do your best. Best of luck....

·
Registered
752 Posts
I have never cut a roof off, and I have never used an arc welder!!LOL, small tig torch, small cup, flush back cap, I dont use a button on the torch either, this would make it very hard to use in tight spots, and to answer your question, no the tube doesnt need to be welded 360 degrees if you use a gusset, the gusset can be added to the tube joint and make up for 25% of the weld, no gusset = fully welded, gusset = 75% welded, and you can not gusset anywhere within the funny car cage, that all has to be fully welded

·
Registered
921 Posts
Lazy cheap ass welders weld up what they can and mix up some JB weld and fill in around the missed area. That way if the inspector feels up there he thinks it's welded...
Legally, if not welded all the way around you have to have a gusset or angled tube installed.

But then, said lazy welder would probably forget to install the small side bars behind the seats too... :(

·
7.86 @ 8800DA 3365lb 275s
4,502 Posts
i usually drop it through the floor i would turn down a job before i would cut the roof off a car......man talk about a nightmare wraped in a pain in the ass.....never never never......you can't make me...if it's an updat where you can't get 100% i get in as much as possible and gusset it even in the F/C cage area never saw that rule???

did i mention i would never cut the roof off a car (unless i was chopping the top) man what a PIA that would be.

·
Registered
47 Posts
the roof can be cut off of the 99-04 mustang easily because the panels are removable...no body work just pop them off and pop them back on when u are done

·
On the roller...
15,871 Posts
the roof can be cut off of the 99-04 mustang easily because the panels are removable...no body work just pop them off and pop them back on when u are done
x2... That's an application that you shouldn't be all "never, never, never," about...

·
Registered
450 Posts
Well I just cut the roof off my car to finish the cage. I try to fit the cage as tight as possible so the means cutting the roof off is the best way for me. It is not hard to cut the roof off and put it back on,and when you do this the results are nice complete welds and a fit that is awesome.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Well I just cut the roof off my car to finish the cage. I try to fit the cage as tight as possible so the means cutting the roof off is the best way for me. It is not hard to cut the roof off and put it back on,and when you do this the results are nice complete welds and a fit that is awesome.
Dropping it through the floor is way easier.

·
Registered
505 Posts
i usually drop it through the floor i would turn down a job before i would cut the roof off a car......man talk about a nightmare wraped in a pain in the ass.....never never never......you can't make me...if it's an updat where you can't get 100% i get in as much as possible and gusset it even in the F/C cage area never saw that rule???

did i mention i would never cut the roof off a car (unless i was chopping the top) man what a PIA that would be.
I've never seen the "no gussets in the funny car cage rule" either. We've gussetted a few funny car cages that were add-ons to an 8.50 cage and all passed certification no problem.

·
They call me HateTank
2,836 Posts
Landing the cage on out riggers and dropping it through the floor is the only way to do it right.You have to plan ahead but I've ALWAYS done it that way.For an update however,cutting the roof will gain ya the access to the tops of the funny car cage to do the job right.Once the roof is out of the way its easier to fab the added cage bars too.

·
Registered
20,007 Posts
i thought i remember reading if a 360 deg weld cant be made, you have to add gussets-i add them anyway, to almost all my bars, although i dont run anything faster anymore than a 6 pt is needed, lol
i built a cage in one of my cars once, had it cert., he questioned a floor plate in the rear where i left a gap-i told him it was a crack stop, he seemed a little confused by that, but said weld it up, so i said i would-i never saw them run their hands around the hoop bars
i have seen roofs cut off, bars tacked and lowered, etc-i would thing a tig would be a little trickier around tight spots

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
We took of our roof 89 hatch actually we made it into a notch. We found terrible fit and welding almost scary. It was from when we had the car locally up graded to 25.2

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
so is there a rule saying it has to be fully welded (360) ? if so where in the rule book(IHRA or NHRA) can this be found? or where can the rules for such an application be found ? somebody must know where to find this if so many know how its has to be done !

1 - 20 of 30 Posts