Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what rods are you guys using. steel or alum.
and how often are you switching them out ?

i have a Bryant billet crank with small ford mains and 1.888 rod journals and carrillo steel rods for my build.
will be a 358 CI

will these be stout enough for a turbo deal ?

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
this will be my first turbo build so i need a few pointers.
so alum rod is the best for this.
is any of you guys running the small rod journal 1.888 with luck

thanks for the replys

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
What you have is fine. Thats exactly whats in my engine. Five years w/ same rods. 400 inches w/ twin 88's

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
I know most guys like alum rods, I also run them however, when I first went the turbo route Duttweiler (sp) recommended the steel rods you have.
Id have to say, he knows a thing or 2 about turbo combos.

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
no one asks how much power hes planning on making, piston weight, stroke, max rpm, vehicle weight but can reccomend him on what material rod to run. if hes planning on making 1000 hp why would he want to run an aluminum rod that he will have to change periodically rather then run a high quality steel rod like an carrillo or an oliver. anyone pass by and talk to bruce at oliver at the pri show and discuss the success that his rod has in turbo engines. what about the fastest streetcar in drag week. made about 2000hp with steel rods. dunno how you can recommend a fellow racer about a paticular product without knowing his full combination and goals

·
FUCK TONS OF FUN
17,113 Posts
i'd run the carrillo's (depending on power) if you have them already

if not we use alloy R&R rods

·
Keepn my pimp hand strong
6,768 Posts
Im running a crower billet steel rod making 2300hp with a sbc and have had no issues.Just like anything else keep the motor from ratteling and you should not have problems.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i plan on putting a single turbo or twins on a 358 ci R5 P7 nascar based motor.(need to talk with Reed to see what he rocomends)

this is a fresh complete open cup motor that will makes over 800 hp N/A
3.260 stroke Bryant billet crank with 1.888 rod journals
carrillo rods with .820 pins
will have custom piston done for it (the ones in it have the .8mm ring packs with 12 to 1 compression)
block has billet 6 bolt mains
its a open deck with siameiss bores
20 bolt style heads
6 stage dry sump system
Ti valves
will convert it to billet 60 mm roller cam with jesel lifters
heads flow 400 int. 289 on ex.
makes power in the 8800 to 9200 range as it sits

my goal is to make 1800 to 2000 with it.
these motors are some what cheap to buy with some of the best parts you can buy in them and want to play with it to see what i can push it too !

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
car will be setup at 3150 lbs to be legal on a 29 x 10.5 non w tire.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I run lunati pro-mod billet rods in mine no issue's for 2 years @ 1500+HP

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
You can run steel rods no problem in your motor, just not THOSE steel rods. Anybody catch the .820 pin diameter?? Step the pin size up and go at least .220 wall thickness. I'm glad that thing only has a 3.26 stroke. Any more than that and the rod/ main overlap would be nonexistent. Titanium exhaust valves too? If so they need to be replaced with inconel pieces. Ti won't take the heat. Good luck crossing it over to a boosted application. Most times it doesn't turn out too well.

·
:D
1,427 Posts
no one asks how much power hes planning on making, piston weight, stroke, max rpm, vehicle weight but can reccomend him on what material rod to run. if hes planning on making 1000 hp why would he want to run an aluminum rod that he will have to change periodically rather then run a high quality steel rod like an carrillo or an oliver. anyone pass by and talk to bruce at oliver at the pri show and discuss the success that his rod has in turbo engines. what about the fastest streetcar in drag week. made about 2000hp with steel rods. dunno how you can recommend a fellow racer about a paticular product without knowing his full combination and goals
I'm new around town but this was honesty my thought as well.

and for the record, how many of you really run aluminum rods for 4 season without replacing them? Isn't that a little risky:smt102

I'd guess go steel or go home, especially on a FI application unless your money bags.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts