Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am replacing the ARP rod bolts on a set of manly rods.

I have read that some have experienced problems with the ARP2000 replacements. Any truth?

the L19's are claimed to be a better fastener. If these were used would they require the big end resized?

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Last year I lost a brand new motor due to some bad ARP 2000 rod bolts. Lost three rods on very first burn out. Motor was built by the best and ran on dyno. I don't think that this is common to ARP but it was determined to be weak bolts in my case. I would not be afraid to run them again. Matter of fact engine builder used ARP 2000 when he repaired motor. I really think I was just the unlucky one to get a few bolts that were not treated correct.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
I am replacing the ARP rod bolts on a set of manly rods.

I have read that some have experienced problems with the ARP2000 replacements. Any truth?

the L19's are claimed to be a better fastener. If these were used would they require the big end resized?
We had a builder near me that broke the head off just torquing the bolt up only to fine out the chinese rods needed to be spot faced and it was not the bolts fault!!

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
have heard for years the L19 bolt is a great fastner! only prob is something to do with they have to be handled with rubber gloves.i cant believe that the oils in your fingers would cause a prob, but thats what these message boards over the years say. also must use solvents to wash, no hot dip/spray tanks....i really dont know more than that, sorry. but when i put my engine together i ordered the L19 and my junk still works

·
Registered
12,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Car ramrod
10,130 Posts
I would reuse them in my opinion. At most buy a new set of ARP 2000 bolts

·
Registered
5,293 Posts
We had a builder near me that broke the head off just torquing the bolt up only to fine out the chinese rods needed to be spot faced and it was not the bolts fault!!
How did they even hone the rods then Carl? The manufacture would have to TQ the bolts down before they did any machining!

·
Registered
5,293 Posts
You can only cycle them so many times. Mine have been on and off twice, time for new.
Really? With the old ARP lube you had to cycle the bolts about 8 times JUST to get them to TQ properly.....:confused:

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
How did they even hone the rods then Carl? The manufacture would have to TQ the bolts down before they did any machining!
Good question but you maybe able to get away with it once but not twice who knows.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Good question but you maybe able to get away with it once but not twice who knows.[/QUOTE

At the place I used to work for the rods came finished with no bolts. Just take out of Chinese box, insert bolts, rebox. Although the "street" rods did come with horrible ARP knockoffs that streched like a rubber band.

The Chinese h-beam rods on their price sheet were around $13-$14/rod so you were spending more on bolts than rods lol.

Just for shits n giggles every now and then i'd torque up a set just to see where the big ends were and most of the time they were pretty good on size, boss didn't like me doing that because he said I was wasting time because they are supposed to be finished to size, quit screwing around and just put them in the box.
Guy was a serious D-bag.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts