Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be freshening my 540 in the next few weeks and figure I may as well put new rod bolts in. I have Eagle H-beams with L-19 rod bolts. Can I just buy new rod bolts or do I need to have the rods resized with new bolts in place? I don't see why it would matter with a capscrew bolt, but I am unsure. Also, I used a stretch gauge when I put this engine together 7 years ago and was wondering what difference it would make if the bolts were just torqued to spec on the sheet. I know stretch is the way to go, just wondering how disastrous it could be. I have done it both ways and never had a problem. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Buy a stretch gauge. Just to give you an example, my Lunati's called for 55 ft/lbs without a gauge, didn't have one at the time. My Oliver's took over 80 ft/lbs to get to the proper stretch point. Do your rods have alignment sleeves in the bolt holes?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They do have alignment sleeves. I am assuming you are talking about the dowels that the rod cap and rod fit into.

·
Super Moderator
34,717 Posts
If the torque and or stretch spec is the same on the new fasteners, and the big ends are within tolerance..... then I'd say no need to resize.

But if you upgrade fasteners to something that requires more torque or more stretch........ then it's going to move the material around on the rod differently, and needs to be measured and a decision made upon measuring.....

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Ditto on not needing to re-size if using the same bolt type. My own experience is that the stretch can vary from by 4 mils using the torque only method, would that destroy an engine I dont know but why take the chance.

Also, I cannot remember if its the L19 or 2000's but Im told one of those is very prone to stress corrosion cracking so be sure and dont touch them with your bare hands, this was told to me by Eagle.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Ditto on not needing to re-size if using the same bolt type. My own experience is that the stretch can vary from by 4 mils using the torque only method, would that destroy an engine I dont know but why take the chance.

Also, I cannot remember if its the L19 or 2000's but Im told one of those is very prone to stress corrosion cracking so be sure and dont touch them with your bare hands, this was told to me by Eagle.
L-19's, do not touch them with bare hands.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts