Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should I be concerened with this amount of the rocker bolts protruding into my intake runners? I guess it wouldn't take too much effort to cut about 3 threads off the bolts, but will that make any appreciable difference in airflow? These are AFR 225s on a 408 that will be boosted.

·
Registered
10,234 Posts
prob wont hurt anything, but I would cut them off some. lots of heads are like that

·
Registered
573 Posts
If you do the comp cams trunnion upgrade, the shorter bolts don't go into the intake runner.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A range of mixed opinions... I should have mentioned that I am using T&D shaft rockers, not that it really matters for the topic at hand. I guess it's safe to say that anything extending into the ports will affect airflow, just how much of an effect is anybody's guess. Seeing that I am snowed in today (8" here in North Alabama), I'll probably spend a little time to trim the bolts. Then this becomes a moot point.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I think its funny as hell, when guys spend thousands on a bad ass set of heads that had a ton of time in port work and money spent. Then they decide that its OK to let a bolt stick in the runner...LMAO.. After all the time has been spent to make it flow better..

RealCute:

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
I think its funny as hell, when guys spend thousands on a bad ass set of heads that had a ton of time in port work and money spent. Then they decide that its OK to let a bolt stick in the runner...LMAO.. After all the time has been spent to make it flow better..

RealCute:
X2

·
Registered
13,267 Posts
I cut mine off. All the work to make the runner right, then have a bunch of threads sticking through, can't be good.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Measure how much needs to come off the bolt then cut or go to a hardware store and get a M8x1.25 allen head bolt in that length or just slightly shorter. I think the metric would be be grade 10.8 or something like that.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
might as well add a little intake manifold misalignment too... :)
:-kill

I spent quite a bit of time and effort on intake manifold-to-head porting and alignment. I made a sheetmetal template of the head ports, and used it to port match the intake runners. Then I drilled the corners of the intake and heads and added roll pins to make sure it was re-installed properly without misalignment. Granted I'm just a shadetree kind of guy working alone in a basement, but I am at least trying to give this engine all the chance I can to breath well.

·
Registered
280 Posts
A few years back on Hendrick SB2.2 heads they used studs from A-1 Technologies with their T&D rockers to mount the rocker stands. The studs would be placed in the head as more of a permanent fixture and on the inlet ports, however much of the stud that protruded into the port was machined flush to the roof of the port itself. I know that a Nascar application is one that tends to be extreme where they are searching for every last ounce of power but a lot can be learned from some of their techniques. The small details add up after a while. So, moral of the story, I guess taking off those couple threads can't hurt.

·
Registered
199 Posts
A few years back on Hendrick SB2.2 heads they used studs from A-1 Technologies with their T&D rockers to mount the rocker stands. The studs would be placed in the head as more of a permanent fixture and on the inlet ports, however much of the stud that protruded into the port was machined flush to the roof of the port itself. I know that a Nascar application is one that tends to be extreme where they are searching for every last ounce of power but a lot can be learned from some of their techniques. The small details add up after a while. So, moral of the story, I guess taking off those couple threads can't hurt.
What did they do with the head stud and plug above the head stud?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts