Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're working on short deck 540BBC combo that will get a yet to determined F1 head unit. This is a street/strip deal. Pump gas 91 on the street.

My question centers around the valve covers and rockers. On the side slung F1 and F2 setups I've seen, the charger is very close to the drivers side valve cover. Which leads me to question how tall of valve cover can be used when you have the bigger volute as on the F1C or F1R, or moving up to the F2 for that matter.

Does whatever valve cover height is needed usually make a stud mount rocker with a girdle a no go? We're on the fence on stud vs. shaft on this build but this issue (or maybe non issue?) may make the stud vs shaft decision for us.

Any input?

Any specific valve cover recommendations? This will be a Holley smart coil deal, if that makes any difference.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Shafts will probably allow more room as the girdles will be taller.

it’s common for guys to notch and box a fabricated valve cover for clearance on a side slinger bbc.

I think Procharger also has a relocation bracket the moves the blower a little bit. It’s an add on to the actual big side slinger brackets. (Might have more flex than using the existing 3/4” thick brackets now.

I would just notch the valve cover for clearance.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
it’s common for guys to notch and box a fabricated valve cover for clearance on a side slinger bbc.

I think Procharger also has a relocation bracket the moves the blower a little bit. It’s an add on to the actual big side slinger brackets. (Might have more flex than using the existing 3/4” thick brackets now.

I would just notch the valve cover for clearance.
Yes, I've seen that relocation bracket. At this point I'm just assuming we'll need on of those with the bogger volutes.

I've seen notched valve covers and some that weren't notched. I guess that's what spurred my questions. I'm not worried about having to notch a valve cover so much.
My bigger question is how tall (or short) of valve cover must you run with a girdle? This being the first BBC I've been involved with, I'm a little in the dark.

Thanks for the input so far.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts