Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am working on my 427 Windsor in my 86 Gt. I pulled my valve covers today to check my valve train. I was shocked to fine several rocker arms roller tips were Not Centered on the valve stems. What could cause this and how do I fix it Right???? Here are some pics for you:

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Not to familiar with the ford stuff and this may sound like a dumb question but it looks like the snap ring is missing on a few?

Maybe put up a few pictures from the side of the rocker.

·
Registered
49,467 Posts
Are these protopline heads ?

·
YB Managing Editor
51,144 Posts
Word of advice. When trying to take closeups pull the camera back and zoom in. They will focus better.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
That's normal with some heads. The only way to fix it is adj.guide plates. Can you move them side to side,and if so how much?

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes , on the ones that have no pressure on them. I can move them about 1/16" or maybe 1/8" side to side. So with adjustable guide plate, is how you adjust rocker arm alignment on the valve springs? I have a used set off my heads before they were up-graded to solid roller set up and larger 2.08 valves. Here are some pics of the used adjustable guide plates that I have. Will these work on my heads?

·
Registered
14,768 Posts
You really don't need adjustable giude plates from what I see. Your rockers are both off in the same direction and all you really need to do is loosen the rocker studs and move the whole guide plate over a little. The holes in the guide plate should allow you to do this. It'll become obvious when you try it.

·
Butch
8,208 Posts
All of the suggestions here are good things to check/do

Just a little tip, I can't see the rocker sides to see if there is an external snap ring or not. If there is no external snap ring on the fulcrum, you can PRESS the rocker over on the forum to allow the roller to line up with the tip

You can also try to install the rockers on that valve with that half of the guide plate removed to see if its a plate issue or not. In the end, some rockers will fit like this when other brands don't so if you can find a couple different single rockers you can try them and see

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Next? How do I adjust the guide plates over on my set up. Also, not sure how to readjust my valves once rockers removed. I have a Solid Roller cam in her if that matters. Thanks1

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was able to remove the stud girdle and rockers today. I then loosened the screw in studs and slid them over to the left. They are now align correctly. Thanks for the advice!

·
pig hunter
9,424 Posts
good job! better job of not just saying fuck it, it's good enough. like i see so many doing lately....

·
Registered
14,768 Posts
good job! better job of not just saying fuck it, it's good enough. like i see so many doing lately....
X2, and good on you for diving in and doing it. 99% of this stuff is pretty basic. Common sense and a little patience will get you a long way.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks, once again. Once I looked at it, didn't seem that hard. What I did was loosen the girdle screws 1st. Then I just loosened up the poly lock, keeping the allan screws lock in place. In other words, I didn't loosen the lock screws at all! After I removed all poly nuts (keeping them in order) removed the girdle. I then looked over the alignment of the rocker arms and springs. I moved over the guide plates as needed (usually to the left in my case). Then I installed the poly nuts loosely and added the girdle. Last step I torqued the poly nuts until the locking allan screws bottomed out. This was my only option that I could think of since I wasn't sure what to and how to adjust the valves in my solid roller set up. Do you think all be alright like thins? Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
You need to learn to adjust your valves! How do you know there adjusted correctly now after loosening the locks? This is basic valvetrain maintenance that needs to be done on a regular bases if you want your motor to live very long...

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes, I know that. I just need to get a real good how to or a fellow racer to teach me proper tech. I guess I will give my engine builder a call also. Think I will write down the info for future use also. Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Didn't you have to loosen the rocker stud to adjust the guide plates? Make sure the rocker stud is torqued down to the head properly to hold the guide plate in place.

Setting the lash on the rockers/valves is a different procedure. Find out from the cam company what they rec your lash should be "cold" then check your lash. you can search lash on here for steps to set it.

Make sure your lash is set ok before you run it or you will screw your stuff up, like the cam, lifters, etc.

I wrote this before I saw the above two posts, sorry. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Talked to my engine builder. He told me to bring the motor to TDC. Then adjust and valves that are Closed completely. Intakes valves are set at 19 and exhaust set at 22. then rotate engine 90* and continue to adjust closed valves. He said I can either set all passenger side and then driver's side or can do by firing order sequence.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Bad advice, Needs to be done using the IC/EO procedure, I do all intakes following the firing order, then do all exhaust following the firing order. This insures you are on the same part of the clearance ramp everytime.

Bring the exhaust valve around so that when it is just starting to open or move, (or watching the lifter) go and adjust the intake rocker.

Now, run the intake valve around until it is halfway closed and adjust the exhaust rocker.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts