Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
140th phuckstick bitches
13,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
TMD has obtained what many rock historians are calling the greatest sounding live VAN HALEN concert audio ever. It’s a pristine soundboard recording from June 1, 1978 at Hammersmith Odeon in London, England when the legendary hard rock act opened for BLACK SABBATH on the ‘Never Say Die’ world Tour.

http://themetalden.com/index.php?p=17788

I remember the show in Detroit at the masonic temple on this tour, Sabbath was so upstaged by VH it was crazy.

Love to have the whole audio from this sound board capture :party

·
Registered
5,422 Posts
If my memory dont fail it was a THE WHO concert back in the 70's was the loudest and better sound live concert ever!

·
Registered
28,262 Posts
TMD has obtained what many rock historians are calling the greatest sounding live VAN HALEN concert audio ever. It’s a pristine soundboard recording from June 1, 1978 at Hammersmith Odeon in London, England when the legendary hard rock act opened for BLACK SABBATH on the ‘Never Say Die’ world Tour.

http://themetalden.com/index.php?p=17788

I remember the show in Detroit at the masonic temple on this tour, Sabbath was so upstaged by VH it was crazy.

Love to have the whole audio from this sound board capture :party
My Uncle was huge Sabbath fan he went to that show at the masonic temple on that tour.

That is a great sounding clip EVH was a monster back in the day.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
I saw a Bob Welch, Van Halen, Black Sabbath & Boston concert at Anahiem Stadium in 1978. I thought that when Sabbath played in the dark with all the lights out & heavy on the bass was great. After Sabbath & when Boston came on it seemed they were there to play exit music, because everybody left. Van Halen was good. The phony parachute into the stadium I thought was corny.

·
140th phuckstick bitches
13,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I've seen a pretty good share of the best guitar players live from this era.
Guys like; Jimmy Page, Frank Marino, Lesi West, Ronnie Montrose, Nugent, Angus Young, Tony Iommi, Rick Darrenger, and Rick Emmit.
There are so many others also I've seen but these guys stood out and then there came Eddie Van Halen. It was like a atomic bomb went off and it wasn't until the little fella named Randy Rhoads ended up with Ozzy did my view get swayed.
I never saw Randy play with Ozzy or Quite Riot but I did see him play when he was 13 & 15 years old with a very unknown band Black Oak Arkansas. He was brought out as a "guest player" by the bands singer Jim Dandy.

·
Moderater
13,612 Posts
Rush has a great sound live. Stevie Ray Vaughn and The Fabulous Thunderbirds at Royal Oak Music Theater was one of the best I have heard live.

·
Registered
28,262 Posts
I've seen a pretty good share of the best guitar players live from this era.
Guys like; Jimmy Page, Frank Marino, Lesi West, Ronnie Montrose, Nugent, Angus Young, Tony Iommi, Rick Darrenger, and Rick Emmit.
There are so many others also I've seen but these guys stood out and then there came Eddie Van Halen. It was like a atomic bomb went off and it wasn't until the little fella named Randy Rhoads ended up with Ozzy did my view get swayed.
I never saw Randy play with Ozzy or Quite Riot but I did see him play when he was 13 & 15 years old with a very unknown band Black Oak Arkansas. He was brought out as a "guest player" by the bands singer Jim Dandy.
You saw Shawn Lane not RR in Black Oak Arkansas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9fBhO4tUvo&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iEHvbfQvw4&feature=related

·
Registered
28,262 Posts
.... the power of VH, these are outstanding finds!!!! :Kneel
They were great in their prime, EVH set the world On Fire ! I remember everyone was into Jimmy Page and had Les Pauls and all the sudden everyone was trying to figure out how to get EVH's tone and sound and people couldn't figure out how to play Eruption. EVH had a homemade strat copy guitar with a Gibson ES335 modified humbucker pickup in it with a single volume knob.

Rock was great back then.

·
Registered
10,357 Posts
good find... but those do not sound like sound board recording. the audience clapping gives it away, also there is way to much natural reverb present... those were recorder with a condenser

1 - 20 of 39 Posts