Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
7,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was in the gif thread and it seemed people were all for robots being in the workforce....wtf is up with that? I agree a lot of workers are slackers, but guys, think about it, any job that a robot can do will put someone out of work, and then they’ll likely be on govt assistance, and all for what? So the company can make even more money by not paying a worker? That means the rest of us that are working now need to pay more taxes to support the people replaced by robots.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
The latest report says that AI will replace all entry level jobs currently performed by new college graduates.

Everyone else is safe for now. I for one, welcome our new overlords.

·
Registered
7,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The auto plants are full of them, yet everyone still complains about the high cost of vehicles
Yes because no matter the cost of production, vehicle prices will always increase. So people are fine with adding more and more robots, so the auto execs can make millions a year, but our kids and their kids will have barely any job opportunities.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Yes because no matter the cost of production, vehicle prices will always increase. So people are fine with adding more and more robots, so the auto execs can make millions a year, but our kids and their kids will have barely any job opportunities.

for sure, but there will be a few jobs...at 1/3 the pay

and a bunch will chime in saying that's all they deserve. Yet if they were a business owner, and are going under, they would be bitching people don't spend like they used to

·
Registered
7,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Exactly! Where is the money going to come from for the average worker? And will there even be any high-paying jobs because of that? It’s a very slippery slope we’re heading down,

·
Registered
7,026 Posts
Learn how to fix robots and you'll always have a job. None of ours can go a whole shift without needing at least a reset.

We use robots here for packing product and stacking units. It mainly cuts down on workman comp claims.

·
Registered
7,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That’s what I’ve been saying to people, but there can’t possibly be as many jobs fixing them as they’re replacing.

·
Registered
7,698 Posts
Last press I worked on had a robot that piled the loads. Was a major pain in the ass. Operators that had been on the press were clueless about programming. When it worked it wasn't too bad, problem was it didn't worked well very often. Maintaining it was pretty much as big a job as maintenance on the press. It saved one person on the crew but was no assistance on web breaks or makereadies. After the 2 other pressmen were gone, one quit, one got fired, I learned to program it a little. It'd get a hiccup and crash loads and screw the settings up. Boy I'm glad I retired! :-D

·
Registered
890 Posts
Saw this shit in a movie, one time...

Didn't end well for people.

"I'll be back"..

·
Registered
203 Posts
I don't understand why they haven't got robots stuffing burgers at McD's yet. They have the automated order kiosks ( altho I don't get why they don't use voice recognition) Every time I see the teenage guy in back bare hand the food with his dick beater I cringe.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Robots are getting cheaper and easier to integrate. My argument to this is educate yourself on how to implement and maintain them and you are set.. There are a ton of automation implementing jobs out there. I cringe whenever I see a super simple process with a person sitting there doing it. Automation is where it's at.

·
Son of Mr. David-get it ?
15,662 Posts
We were teasing the new robot at work yesterday.
FNG needs to be broke in.

Dumb ass didn't even have a sense of humor.

We threw every High School insult at him we could, but he didn't flinch.

Party pooper.....

·
Registered
11,839 Posts
I watched how its made super cars, almost all the welding was done by robot. IIRC BMW the whole front undercarriage, about 25 pieces all aluminum, was loaded in a jig. Then 4 robots welded the entire assy in 90 seconds, very nice welds too.

·
15,662 Posts
When the first female robots start showing up at the workplace and the first sexual harassment lawsuit is filed.....

·
15,662 Posts
I watched how its made super cars, almost all the welding was done by robot. IIRC BMW the whole front undercarriage, about 25 pieces all aluminum, was loaded in a jig. Then 4 robots welded the entire assy in 90 seconds, very nice welds too.
I remember when the first robots were used in the early 80's at GM to build the bodies.

It was the front wheel drive square-ish body cars ( not sure of the models' name)

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
It is very easy to do this now and not on a BMW budget. Since everyone wants to be better and faster there are tons of robots for sale cheap.

I forget the company and it may be more than just 1 by this time. The entire engine is built automated. From casting to finished assembled, no one touches it. Loaded in machining centers, inspected, assembled, torqued, ect. That is impressive!

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
I was a Electronic Packing Technician for Ralston Purina ( breakfast cereal) . I retired 2 years ago, and the plant had changed names a few times. Now its a Post cereal plant. I was in a crew of 53 unionized maintenance men. 250 unionized operators ran the equipment that made, and packed the cereal. In the 36 years I worked there, automation eliminated LOTS of jobs. The plant had 5 floors, and on some of those floors there were only 2 operators running an entire floor of equipment. We would have tours of sales/buyers come through, and they would always ask, " where's all the people"?. Before somebody runs off on a tangent and says those jobs were eliminated because we were unionized, forget it as we had sister non-union shops that were identical . We just had better pay and benefit packages. I don't care if we gave them back 5 dollars an hour and half our benefit packages, automation was still coming in. That's what company's do, they continually march forward, and the elimination of jobs is # 1 on their to do list. I was one of the tech's working on all thee robots. There is not that much work on them. Most of it is programming. As I was walking out the door, they were just installing a new orbital to do all their skid packing off the ends of the final conveyor lines. We were told no major maintenance was need on them for around 5 years. someone on here says just be the guy working on those robots and you will be ok. Problem is we only had a handful, a couple guys a shift, working on them. When you have 100 employees per shift, and only 2 per shift with guaranteed jobs, I see an issue. Wait till all the driverless taxes, bus drivers, delivery vans, and on and on and on are eliminated. And its coming. Not in my lifetime, but in yours

1 - 20 of 61 Posts