·
F.T.W. KILL EM ALL
10,841 Posts
R.I.P. SIR

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
I just found out...

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2011/01/dick_winters_who_inspired_band.html

You are one of my heroes, and I wish I had the chance to shake your hand. RIP.
I got to meet Maj. Winters when the book came out. My military unit participated in a D-Day re-enactment and modern beach/air assault at the book release celebration here in New Orleans. Shook hands with him and several other members of Easy Company that day. Unfortunatly I didn't have a lot of knowledge of their exploits at that time but came to have a great deal of respect for these men after reading the book and viewing the miniseries. Wonderful American heroes. RIP Major Winters.

·
Registered
5,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I got to meet Maj. Winters when the book came out. My military unit participated in a D-Day re-enactment and modern beach/air assault at the book release celebration here in New Orleans. Shook hands with him and several other members of Easy Company that day. Unfortunatly I didn't have a lot of knowledge of their exploits at that time but came to have a great deal of respect for these men after reading the book and viewing the miniseries. Wonderful American heroes. RIP Major Winters.
Wow!! I've met many WWII heroes (Tibbets, Bud Anderson, quite a few from the 352nd FG, a couple of Doolittles' Raiders,etc..) but never got the chance to meet Winters. He is one of my personal heroes, even though he has said that he isn't a hero, but served with many of them.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
If I ever get to earn 1/10 of the respect from my soldiers as Maj. Winter's has from those around him, I will have accomplished something.

RIP

1 - 14 of 14 Posts