Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Using total seal conventional rings , Ross pistons , top ring down .250 , using 300 shot on a gemini plate , seems the top rings have what looks like the chrome plateing (for want of a better word) blistering off , any ideas?

Also the pistons are scuffing on the skirts , now this could've been caused from a previous bore wash issue , other than that the ring lands are all good , 2nd & bottom rings look good too , just the top ring , maybe to much heat? , plugs always looked good , so was'nt aware of any over heating issues.

Sorry , all i know is there total seal conventional , got no other info.

TIA.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What ring pack would i ask for & who sells em? , also what do you suggest for ring gap? , 440 mopar 30 over , not to clever on rings for nitrous , so all info is good.

What caused the top ring to blister? , a buddy of mine is also using these rings , is there a detrimental effect using these?.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Common to see that happen with lots of nitrous and a moly ringset. The heat caused the blister/flaking.

Hellfire(sealed power/speedpro), HTD(akerly and childs), or stainless(total seal) would all work well. Ring gap will depend on which ring is chosen.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ready to fit the rings , Total seal AP , to a Mopar 440 RB 35 over , bore size is 4.352 , the spec sheet is saying bore x .008 top rings & bore x .0055 for 2nd rings when spraying over a 150 shot , i'm spraying a 300 shot , puts the top ring gap @ 35 thou & 2nd ring gap @ 24 thou , should i go ahead & file em to this?

The motor sees more street time than track , so would there be a problem with the above?

Had a bore washing problem with the last set of TS mollys , they were also gapped as the above figures , can i go tighter on the gaps? , gotta try & fit these tommorow.

Thanks in advance.

·
The nitrous guy
7,189 Posts
You need more gap on the second ring. No more than you are spraying, .032 will be plenty on the top, .034 on the second. The thinking here is that the tight gap on the second ring can cause the top ring to flutter. Not sure if anyone has definitive proof, but most builders now gap the seconds bigger than the tops for nitrous motors.

Monte

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thought i'd ask , as a guy with the same motor set up & spraying 200 has gapped the top ring 0.22 & the 2nd ring .018 , only sprayed it around 5 times & it's still livin.:rolleyes:

Anyhow , will gap to your reccomendations , thanks.

So , top ring 0.32 , second ring 0.32.

Monte , what did you mean when you said 'not more than you are spraying'?

Was hoping for it to be tighter , would of made less work of it.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Forgot to mention the piston to bore clearance is 8 thou , does this change anything? , bearing in mind there forged pistons & not stroker pistons.

TIA.

·
Procharger Power
23,972 Posts
The top should be at the very least .032. The blown alcohol guys run .032-.034 on a 4.375 bore but it doesn't get as hot as a gasoline engine. I always set the second ring .004 smaller than the top. What most people seem to forget is that the second ring is cast and has a taper face. It will wear way quicker than the top and the gap will open up on it's own. When you take it apart after 30-40 runs the gap will be much wider than the top ring. Make sure you have at least .060 gap on the rails of the oil rings.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Guys , my delema is i use the motor on the street & don't wanna tear it down as often as the track guys do , so obviously worried about blow by , then again , you can't have both i spose.

Thanks Nos Nelson , will gap the rail ring too , glad you mentioned it as i was gonna leave it @ 015.

Can get on & fit the rings now.

·
Procharger Power
23,972 Posts
Thanks Guys , my delema is i use the motor on the street & don't wanna tear it down as often as the track guys do , so obviously worried about blow by , then again , you can't have both i spose.

Thanks , can get on & fit the rings now.
.010 isn't going to change the leakdown very much. But you have to set it up for nitrous. Exactly, you can't have your cake and eat it too.

·
TEAM NORTH
4,862 Posts
i noticed that summit sells the helfire rings as a kit for $144 and individual for 20 and change. So for eight it would be $168 that is some bs if you ask me . I would just buy the whole kit rather than individual rings

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i noticed that summit sells the helfire rings as a kit for $144 and individual for 20 and change. So for eight it would be $168 that is some bs if you ask me . I would just buy the whole kit rather than individual rings
Is that some way of tellin me to go buy another couple of rings wherby i messed up.

:-D

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The cylinder bore was 4.352 before i had it honed , the machinist said he took a thou off the bores after honeing.

I just thought i'd try the old oil rail ring in the bore , seems to have no tension & falls right through , the ring pack i've got are for 4.355 to which i've already file fitted , just worries me about the old oil rail considering the bores were only taken out a thou , just wondering if the old ring set were to small , any ideas? , or is this normal?

Just wondering if this would of been the problem with leakdown on the old motor , bearing in mind it ran about 10 passes on a 300 shot & around 1000 road miles.

TIA.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts