Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, i know there are ALOT of different opinions out there on almost every aspect of a race motor, but i posted a question in NA section about it and got a wide variable on it.
Heres the question:
Building a 400 SBC (factory block) will finish at 406ci
4.155 bore
3.750 forged crank
12.4 to 1 SRP
Brodix Track 1 light port work 221 runners 67cc's
Dart manifold gasket matched
665 lift Soild Roller 274 @50
Decided on .020 to .025 on the bearings and asked what a bracket motor 6500 rpm approx 570hp would be a good ring gap
I'm thinking 20 top ring 22 to 24 2nd ring, anyone run a combo like this that works well and what gaps are you running, some answers were 20 top and 30 or more 2nd ring. Thanks

·
Montgomery Ragland
3,016 Posts
With the standard bore x .05 would land you around .20. then say + .06 for the second would put you @ well.. .26.

I'm no expert by any means, but there is power to be had in keeping the rings tight, but too tight, they will butt and game over. If anything I would run say .21-.22 and .25 - .26 for a touch on the safe side, and be more so concerned with actual ring seal.

Somebody smarter should hopefully be along with better info.

·
This amp goes to 11.
12,064 Posts
No real guru here, but two questions, for starters...

1) What rings do you intend to run?

2) How often do you plan to tear it down?

·
Registered
22,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
JE Moly Rings

NO Spray

Ok add the 0 .0025

Hope to last the season before tear down, about 15 races total

·
This amp goes to 11.
12,064 Posts
Not sure who does JE's rings anymore, I think it used to be Sealed Power/Speed Pro. I take it they aren't anything out of the ordinary, just 1/16"-1/16" & the oil ring assembly?

My personal take on this would be the same as Montgomery's...then at teardown, check the ring ends for checkmarks; and if all is good, try tightening them up by .001. Baby steps. This is a pretty basic combo, really, and as long as you keep the tune & fuel type reasonably sane you shouldn't have to worry.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts