Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, we just ordered a new set of pistons for our 406 sbc so we can put a pair of turbos on it. probably going with a pair of 7875's. I checked out Total seals post on ring gap they call for .007 x bore on top and second ring. This gives me a gap of .030 on both rings. This is a 406 with 11.1 compression with a 4.155 bore on E85 and I doubt it'll see anything higher than 25 lbs of boost. I would like to hear from guys with any experience with ring gaps on similar builds. thx guys.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
I was .028 on my 4.125 bore 1200 whp. 11:1 seems abit higher than i’d like on e85 but suppose it will work well. Ive seen 10.5 work on lsx stuff at higher boost levels. .030 would be pretty safe i think

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
C16, it's 9.1 compression. Only thing I really worry about is how much boost MLS head gaskets will tolerate. Have made some good 1/8 mile passes at 34 lbs,
[/QUOTE
I was hoping to get away with Felpro 1004 head gaskets. I haven't had very good luck with my sbc and MLS gaskets even on an N/A engine. I had water seeping into the oil at the head studs and the studs are blind holes. I also sprayed the gaskets with a copper spray.

My LS has 10.1 also on E85 and we ran MLS head gaskets that have sealed up ok and its been to 25 lbs so far. time to turn it up lol

Thx

·
Registered
16,777 Posts
Hey guys, we just ordered a new set of pistons for our 406 sbc so we can put a pair of turbos on it. probably going with a pair of 7875's. I checked out Total seals post on ring gap they call for .007 x bore on top and second ring. This gives me a gap of .030 on both rings. This is a 406 with 11.1 compression with a 4.155 bore on E85 and I doubt it'll see anything higher than 25 lbs of boost. I would like to hear from guys with any experience with ring gaps on similar builds. thx guys.
. .026 top and .026 second on that combo and you will be fine . Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
. .026 top and .026 second on that combo and you will be fine . Just my 2 cents
Unfortunately I filed the rings this past week end. I guess I filed them too lose. I filed them .029 top and second ring. On a good note It'll be fine if I go with more boost. Thx everyone for your input.

·
Registered
16,777 Posts
Unfortunately I filed the rings this past week end. I guess I filed them too lose. I filed them .029 top and second ring. On a good note It'll be fine if I go with more boost. Thx everyone for your input.
you will be fine I did some testing with ring gaps and thought I would toss that out there for you .

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
you will be fine I did some testing with ring gaps and thought I would toss that out there for you .
I appreciate that. I figured .029 wouldn't hurt anything. I guess its not optimal but it'll work. lol ;)
Thx again to you and everyone else that replied.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts