Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14,509 Posts
My shop has supported some of his driveline needs in the past so my manager knows Johnson personally, says he's buff way in shape, healthy diet, this shit CAN fuck anyone up. Had two people in the shop show many of the symptoms around the holidays, younger guy mid 20s had it real bad. Client came in to work on a project, left after a couple days, flu symptoms, got back to his home base hit hard, down two weeks all the signs, guy is 70, didn't die, pretty much recovered. Too close for comfort, haven't got it yet.

·
Long Live The King
100,316 Posts
Did Ricky have one of his grand kids draw that for him? :unsure:
RJ doesn't have any grandchildren.

Talked with him about this the weekend before last.

·
Long Live The King
100,316 Posts
Still think the day RJ snapped his scaphoid was a national tragedy....could have gone on to reset the record books in MX and SX, but was never the same....
Danny Strobeck ... did it.

RJ was the strongest and most determined MX racer to ever hit a track. He had many more National Championships in him. It was a bad, bad deal. His MX career was done at 24 years old. He raced for another two years, but was in crazy pain and just didn't have the strength to hold on for a SX track.

·
Big Trev is a great guy!
16,517 Posts
With modern medicine, he probably would have recovered 100% from that injury....

I splayed all the bones in my foot riding motocross in 1995.....all they did was gather them all up and run a 3" screw through them. My foot still gives me grief to this day. If i did the other foot the same tomorrow, it wouldnt be a big deal to have it repaired like "new" :)

·
Long Live The King
100,316 Posts
Most certainly on the "modern medicine" deal.

I've known RJ since 4th grade, he's my mother's "other son" other than my two brothers.

Years after his "retirement", he and his dad and I were having a conversation and his dad said " Maybe it was just meant to happen, and it was a good thing"

RJ, "What do you mean by that? "

His dad: " Would you rather be sitting here with a fucked-up wrist, or be sitting here as David (Bailey), or Donny ( Hanson) ? " " I think those bikes were possessed".

·
Registered
296 Posts
Most certainly on the "modern medicine" deal.

I've known RJ since 4th grade, he's my mother's "other son" other than my two brothers.

Years after his "retirement", he and his dad and I were having a conversation and his dad said " Maybe it was just meant to happen, and it was a good thing"

RJ, "What do you mean by that? "

His dad: " Would you rather be sitting here with a fucked-up wrist, or be sitting here as David (Bailey), or Donny ( Hanson) ? " " I think those bikes were possessed".
Or Danny "Magoo" Chandler

·
Registered
5,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Magoo's story is tragic. Donnie Hansen is basically fine these days; he was never in a wheelchair, although he did spend some time in rehab. His lingering TBI symptoms prevented him ever racing at the top national level again - dizziness, vision problems, headaches, motor skills that weren't as sharp as they were previously - the stuff of closed head injuries. Once largely recovered, he retired for the same reasons Bubba Shobert did after his bad crash in 1989 - because he was warned by his doctors what could happen if he had another crash of similar proportions. The misconception for years was that Hansen and Shobert were seriously impaired to the point where they weren't self-sufficient after their TBI, but they are. Shobert told me that his doctor told him bluntly that another blow to the head like the one he got from McGee at the USGP would leave him as a vegetable or worse. He said to me, "That's it. He didn't have to tell me twice."

Anyway, now JMB has CV19. Sounds like he's going to be good...

·
Long Live The King
100,316 Posts
The hit Bubba took was just wicked. He wasn’t quite the same for sometime.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts