Yellow Bullet Forums banner

Rich Christensen in Pypes Exhaust ad!

5K views 71 replies 49 participants last post by  chevnos 
#1 ·
Browsing through the magazine section at the store the other day and saw Rich in an ad for Pypes in the back of a magazine. They called him a Drag Racing Icon! I wanted to start cussing right there, but the little old lady across from me might not have liked that. lol. I put the magazine back on the shelf and walked away. Way to go Pypes!:mad:

#11 ·
Judging by the manish looking woman body builder wife hes got I would bet he gets his pypes cleaned regularly too!!! Can you say MONSTER STRAP ON?? LMAO!

#48 ·
That was a classic fuckin idiot move ,I still laugh my fucking ass off when i think about that one , what i fuckin dumbass.

#14 ·
Did you go to the last Texasmotorplex PAO event? If you did, you heard the disrespectful way he talked to and about a couple of the racers, one who was a 16 yr old kid! Of course that shit made it to the editting room floor before it aired. Hes a punk ass bitch, USING drag racers to line his own pockets with the promise of a fair well organized race for $18000 in cash and prizes!?!? If you have been to one or more of these clusterfucks you know the truth. Hes a fucking douche bag tool, in a gay leprechan kinda way!!

#17 ·
A "Drag Racing Icon"!!!!!! :smt081:smt081.......UN-FUCKING-REAL!
Once again (Like always) it just goes to show you how many clueless F-ing people there are in this insane world of ours. Pretty F-in sad if you ask me.

#19 ·
His promotion of dragracing and motorsports in general is well compensated. He is nothing more than an entertainer and we the community support him. If you dont care for him[which I dont],then dont support what he does. If you do, then you promote what he is selling and he is successful. How many of us can truthfully say that we make a living doing motorsports related work ie Tv shows,spokes person,endorser of products[ NOT actually working -ie shops/sales/etc.] . As most people who work this way, they usually are short lived in the publics eye/JMO

#22 ·
They should make a cigarette called "POLES", he would be the perfect spokesperson.

#23 ·
Really to bad Pypes is a good company.I went to one of his arm drop deals,a bloody mess,never seen such a dissaster.Ceder falls ,Iowa his home track,they had a quick 8 type/race of some sort,all sorts of promises-track prep,time to cool car down,tow vehicle.race day didnt see any of this,going to get disquallified for towing back-no cool down time-no track prep.made a couple attempts-1st attempt shook so hard snapped the wheelie bars in pieces,2nd sqeeked a 7.00 @196.I loaded as soon as i could.Went to the tower and asked wtf-they said they had now controll of this event -Rich can change anything he wants any time he wants. Beware

#27 ·
They go hand in hand. A few years ago I loaned Pypes my '66 Fairlane to build a 2-1/2" & 3" exhaust kit with "X" pipe. They had the car 7 weeks starting in early December. In trade I was to receive a free kit. Ok, that's fair. Well after 7 weeks they did nothing so I went to get my car because a major snow storm was coming to the SE PA area. It was the year the Eagles made the Super bowl (Eagle Suck!). Anyhow I went to get the car and all of a sudden the Production Manager wanted some dimensions. He was to have the shop make the tail pipes. Over the next few months I took 2-1/2 days vacation to accomodate them, three more trips taking the car from Lancaster to Hatfield, usually a tank of gas for a round trip. So I want the car ready for Ocean City in May of that year. Oh yeah I forgot to say. The exhaust that was on the car was a 2-1/2" system I had installed a year prior. They trashed that taking it off so I never got to see it. Had planned on selling it to another Fairlane buddy for a couple hundred, cost $465 to install. Since they now knew my time frame as to when I needed the car they said they would give me the kit at Carlisle Spring Swap Meet. I went there and the PM gave me a generic "X" pipe, the kit wasn't done yet, next week he said. So I install the "X" pipe and the Tuesday before Ocean City, (I plan on leaving Thursday) the rest of the kit arrived. I put the mufflers on and it looked like the pipes might need a tweaking so short on time I had a local exhaust shop install the tail pipes. They called me at work on Wednesday. The tails do not fit, not even close. I call the PM of Pypes an he says "oh, they must have sent the "G body" pipes that were along the wall. Nice! So I have the shop finish my exhaust for $345. They chopped the G body tails trying to make it fit but it was junk. After that Pypes stopped contacting me or answering my calls or emails. So for a free "X" pipe and two mufflers I gave up a $465 dollar exhaust system that was on the car, gave up 2-1/2 days vacation (@ $25 per hour in wages), gas, $345 for local shop labor. Then in the end they started selling a 66-67 Fairlane Kit but I never got one. I'm glad I could be their R&D monkey. I'll never have a decent thing to say about Pypes. I now have Flowmasters and custom, mandrel bent 3" exhaust. The Pypes "X" pipe and mufflers I Craigslisted for $75 4 years ago.

So to me, Rich Christensen is more of an icon that Pypes if either were even to be considered an icon.

Rant over!

#29 ·
Knowing Chris personally at Pypes. I don't think he had a clue as to what people think of Pinks, etc. He stays busy 24/7.

All about business meetings, attendance, public exposure and marketing. Sometimes the info shown on paper doesn't correspond to real world or public opinion. Some of these marketing companies stretch things. LOL

Sorta like polls, Nielsen ratings, etc.

#31 ·
Don't get me wrong, if Pypes is producing a quality product at a fair price, then that is great. The reviews I've read here don't look too good, but I've heard of others who have had good experiences with their stuff. I think you get that with most companies. I just thought the whole "drag racing icon" thing was incredible. I don't think anyone should make a decision to buy or not to buy a company's product based on what a paid spokesperson says. They are paid to endorse the product after all. Kinda like Carrol Shelby endorsing Zmax. Just because I think Shelby is a pretty cool guy does not mean I am gonna pour that crap into my crankcase. lol. Same with Dick Christensen, I'm not gonna make a decision not to buy it just because he is a spokesperson for the product, but it certainly doesn't help their case. lol. Hell, who knows, there might be a million people out there who love the guy and will rush out and buy some Pypes mufflers for thier car now?

#33 ·
I agree he is a dick but going to the Shreveport PAO got me back into drag racing after almost 20 years. Now we have 4 cars and my son is just starting to drive. He loves the sport, i enjoy spending the quality time with him working on the cars and we have met countless numbers of great prople in the last two years at the track. So even though i think hes a dick...i will cut him some slack as his show did get me back into the sport that i have always loved.

#34 ·
No such thing as bad press. And Icon doesn't mean that he is good, knowledgeable or even respected, just associated with Drag Racing.
I've used Pypes exhaust on my car and my Diesel truck with great results. Great fit and quality parts.

i·con

   /ˈaɪ
kɒn
/ Show Spelled[ahy-kon] Show IPA
–noun 1. a picture, image, or other representation.

#35 ·
No such thing as bad press. And Icon doesn't mean that he is good, knowledgeable or even respected, just associated with Drag Racing.
I've used Pypes exhaust on my car and my Diesel truck with great results. Great fit and quality parts.

i·con

   /ˈaɪ
kɒn
/ Show Spelled[ahy-kon] Show IPA
–noun 1. a picture, image, or other representation.
Glad you had good results with the Pypes stuff, that is good to hear. I have heard others had good experiences with them as well.

You left out a couple of other definitions and I believe these are the ones that they imply in the context of their ad.

3. any person or thing that is revered
4. someone or something regarded as embodying the essential characteristics of an era, group, etc.

I don't believe he is either. He lucked upon a show that the public wanted to see, then made it about more about him and "me doing my thing" (quoted from Popular Hotrodding) than about the racers he was blessed to have show up at his circus and pretty much ruined it. I do appreciate his role in bringing PASSTIME to television, and that he has stayed out of that show except for one brief appearance on the 100th episode. I also believe that PAO is a concept worth saving, just make it about the racers and their cars, not about the host and his band of followers.

Anyway, I found the "icon" reference to be laughable, and thought most would agree, and it seems they do.

#36 ·
He turned in several different pilots over the years with various motorsports thems and the execs said piss off. The pinks all out sparked their interest and gave it a shot. He is promoting because he wants the money and in my book that is crap---the people that deserve the credit are the ones that would be in the sport regardless but while they are in it they try to make some money, their business goes under they are still in in but at a much smaller level. Bitch C. has NEVER been in it, NEVER will be in it, and absolutely doesn't care about the racers ===he cares about the RATINGs. A\
As fas as taking it drag racing main stream I don't see it. Pinks ALL OUT decides who stay or goes regardless of who wins..everyone who has went to a PAO know there are people who get the win under shady circumstances so they get the quarters and the finals they want. How many times have you heard them say would it be great if so and so was in the finals and it happpened---IT IS NOT about drag racing but reviews.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.