Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
15,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you all prepare them? I was told if you cut off the back skin, the ribs come out more tender. Just looking for new ideas.

·
Revolution Is My Name
20,381 Posts
Coat with olive oil, Rub with Blackend Seasoning, or whatever seasoning you like.

Cook at 250 degrees until fall apart tender. 3 thru 6 hours depending on size of ribs.

You can cook them in a smoker, on a grill, or in the oven. I like them smoked but the oven is good also.

For really fall apart tender smoke for 2-4 hours the night before you are going to serve them. Put them in a Pan and cover with foil. Cook overnight in the oven at 225 Degrees.

Remove from oven just before you are going to serve and grill them. When they have nice grill marks cover in you fav. BBQ sauce. (I think Stubbs is the best)

·
I've Got The Cure
2,629 Posts
Coat with olive oil, Rub with Blackend Seasoning, or whatever seasoning you like.

Cook at 250 degrees until fall apart tender. 3 thru 6 hours depending on size of ribs.

You can cook them in a smoker, on a grill, or in the oven. I like them smoked but the oven is good also.

For really fall apart tender smoke for 2-4 hours the night before you are going to serve them. Put them in a Pan and cover with foil. Cook overnight in the oven at 225 Degrees.

Remove from oven just before you are going to serve and grill them. When they have nice grill marks cover in you fav. BBQ sauce. (I think Stubbs is the best)
Right On!!! We not much for Wet Ribbs(BBQ Sauce) here.
We like the Dry Rub from Stubbs.
For Weber Kettle Lite a good stack of coals over on one side. Dry rubb your ribs put them in of the opp side of coals put lid on crack holes on bottom of Weber full open top half way and let it go for about 2 hours checking it every 1/2hr.
Use this method for Pork Loin, Beef Brisket, Beef Round or anything else where you dont need to watch it.
Let Er Smoke!!! :smt023

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
I am TOTALLY opposite of SouthernTrendKill.(NO offense) If you touch most anything with sauce you are ruining it.

Peel off the inner liner of the ribs with a butterknife or back end of a spoon or fork. Sharp is not good and makes it difficult. Stick the end down along the bone and you will see the clear skin snd start pulling until you get the whole layer off. Other than that I like to cook my meat at the DONE temp. or within 10* above at the very most. Most things I cook 150* and cook them until they are reaching internal temp of the same as the cooker and they will get to desired temp above that. That's my plan of attack and seems to work for me. Obviously season as you wish.

·
Revolution Is My Name
20,381 Posts
No offence taken. I like them dry and wet. Just depends who you are serving. You can always skip the cover them in your fav. BBQ sauce. And as it was a girl asking...

Now for the men:

I really like them Blackened and Smoked Cajun style. Blackened with my Wife's Blackened Spice, no Salt and extra Cayenne Pepper.

I can't post the recipe for "my" blackened but you can find it in the stores, and you can add extra Cayenne.

Here goes.

Coat ribs with melted butter (The butter makes the blackened seasoning stick to the ribs and makes a really nice thick black crust) and then use blackened seasoning, alot of blackened seasoning.

Put in smoker at 250 degrees untill fall apart tender. Ribs will come out so black you will think they were on fire. Serve with lots of beer.

Damn, I'm gonna have to make some this week. My mouth is watering just typing this! LOL!

MMMM.... Blackened Smoked Ribs!

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
I strip off the membrane, and then put on a dry rub, which is storebought or I just make one. Today I seared the ribs on a high heat, and moved it a lot. I then wrapped the ribs in foil and grilled them at indirect medium for an hour. I made a Hoison-based bbq sauce and coated the ribs twice after that hour, and did a 5 minute sear at the end just to get a little crunch. I usually don't put much sauce on but I really glopped it on today but they were good.

Here is a pic of some ribs from a while back:

·
Registered
1,850 Posts

This is mostly how I cook them. The weirdest thing that was ever suggested to me but makes them so farking delicious, is soak the ribs in apple juice for around 12 hours the day before. Jumping Jesus I was a skeptic but they come out unreal. And I prefer a dry rub too. Just throw them in the oven uncovered for 4-6 hours on 250 degrees and wait for perfection.

·
Administrator
136,849 Posts
This is mostly how I cook them. The weirdest thing that was ever suggested to me but makes them so farking delicious, is soak the ribs in apple juice for around 12 hours the day before. Jumping Jesus I was a skeptic but they come out unreal. And I prefer a dry rub too. Just throw them in the oven uncovered for 4-6 hours on 250 degrees and wait for perfection.

I always use apple juice but never soak them... I just smoke them with apple juice.. :p

·
Administrator
136,849 Posts
Putting sauce on ribs is like putting A-1 on steak!! Any steak or ribs that needs sauce were not preared correctly and sauce is needed to cover the taste.. Just my opinion... Not that I dont like sauce on ribs.. I just dont like it on good ribs...

·
Administrator
136,849 Posts
Try it. I was a complete skeptic until I had my buddy's.

Nate
LOL maybe you misunderstood. I marinated them in spices and apple juice before. I also fill the water bowl in the smoker with apple juice... then I also spray them with apple juice before I wrap them in foil to make them tender... BTW I've also smoked with with apple wood... :p

·
Registered
400 Posts
we boil them 1hour twenty min, til the bones wanna pul out,, then mix some open pit and kc masterpice 1/2and 1/2 and throw them on the grill to crisp em on outside

·
Revolution Is My Name
20,381 Posts
Wife picked up some ribs today. I'm smoking them tomorrow! I'll take pics and post them as soon as they are out of the grill er I mean Smoker.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Here is a rib recipe I love, actually I really don't care, but the wife and kids Love it. Not much of a rib person, but the rest of the family goes to town on them.
Of course with all these smoker recipes cooking time can very so good luck and good eats.
I saw Monty had a link, I didn't look at it so I hope it is not the same.

3-2-1-Ribs

If baby backs, shoot more for a 2-2-1.
Last BB's I did I pulled out of the foil after 1 1/2 but still did the 1 hr and that did give them a little more pull from the bone. Won't swear it will work every time
Do not, for any reason, boil, parboil, or crock-pot the ribs before you smoke them!
There is a bonus to using spares over baby backs... spares have more fat deposits on the meat and between the ribs, which tend to melt and keeps the meat basted during the smoking process.
Step 1
I am assuming you have removed the membrane, rubbed the ribs down with a thin layer of mustard and some tasty rib rub and the ribs are ready to go onto the smoker.

The smoker is prepped and cruising right along at around 225 degrees or so.

I like to lay the ribs meat side up directly on the rack.

You can use rib racks or you can roll the ribs into a barrel shape and stick a skewer through both sides to hold it in place.

This will allow you to accommodate more meat than you could otherwise in a size-challenged smoker.

If you are using a horizontal offset, smoker that has not been baffled to help disperse the heat better then I recommend that you lay the ribs directly on the rack but a little ways from the side where the heat enters.

We do not want anything burning or getting too hot...

Once the ribs are on the grate, your only job is to let them lay there for around 3 hours and to keep the smoke flowing so that you can barely see it coming out of the smoker..

This is called the "Thin blue Smoke" or TBS.

You can also spray them with apple juice every hour or so if you are so inclined.
Why spray? Great question and I am so glad you asked!
Spraying gets the juice on the ribs without disturbing the rub... it is that simple.

If you are maintaining around 225 degrees, then it should take about 3 hours for the meat to pull back 1/4 inch from the bone.

This "pulling back" is the cue for starting the 2nd step so if it happens earlier than 3 hours then go ahead and proceed to step 2.

Step 2
Using heavy-duty foil and a good sturdy table close to the smoker preferably... pull the ribs quickly from the smoker and place them on a sheet of heavy duty foil large enough to completely enclose the rack.

Spray on about 1/4 cup of apple juice and close the foil around the rack of ribs.

If you are smoking, multiple slabs then repeat this until they are all wrapped.

Place the ribs back in the smoker and walk away.

The only job at this point is to try to maintain your 225-degree temperature in the smoker throughout this 2-hour process.

Step 3
OK.. the ribs have smoked on the grate unwrapped for 3 hours, they have tenderized in foil for 2 hours, now it is time to unwrap and finish them up.

Remove the ribs from the smoker and carefully remove the foil and place the ribs back onto the grate just like they were in the first step.

This last step will firm up the ribs on the outside a little to give that nice crust.

This is also the time to glaze with sauce, jelly, honey, whatever... if you so desire.

Let the ribs stay on the grate for an hour and then pull them off.

Resting Time

Not for you! for the ribs;-)

During cooking... the juices tend to move toward the outside of the meat and as long as you do not poke any extra holes, the juices will not escape but will stay on the outer edges of the meat just below the surface.
As the ribs cool, the juices will naturally redistribute themselves throughout the meat. This is why resting is so important for meat and especially ribs.
Let them sit on the counter for 20 minutes or so before slicing to allow this natural process to happen.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Actually, I have a "cheater" method were i boil the ribs in a lager beer with whole clove garlic for about an hour or until tender then i throw on the grill with whatever stricks my fancy after i toss about 8 to 10 oz of smoker chips in the smoke can on the grill.

·
Senior Frog
10,345 Posts
How do you all prepare them? I was told if you cut off the back skin, the ribs come out more tender. Just looking for new ideas.
I live in Memphis,they cant cook shit down here but
one thing...........Rib's...I don't eat them often because they are
a corinary nightmare but I can pretty much go to any Memphis BBQ
rest and get some kick ass ribs...
So why bother cookin when the take out is the best in the world

:smt119

1 - 20 of 30 Posts