Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got 2 nice racks of baby back ribs and gonna cook them in the new pellet smoker.
Im torn between the 3-2-1 and the 2-2-1 method.
I plan on spritzing them every hour with a apple juice and apple cider vinegar mix.

Any tips? I am doing this tomorrow.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I always think babyback ribs done 3-2-1 come out too soft. Completely fall off the bone. Some like that. I prefer a better bite thru. I like less time foiled if foiling at all. 2-1-1 for babybacks at 225-250 usually does it for me. I pull using the toothpick test rather than temp or the bend test. No spritz until color is good around 160*-165*. Then spritz half hour if on my pellet grill. No spritz on the Big Green Egg.

Jim

·
KEVIN CAPS LOCK
79,431 Posts
YOU ALWAYS POST BEFORE YOU START COOKING?.....WE NEED PICS...DONT JUST COME ON HERE TALKING BOUT SOME SHIT...:)

Reactions: Spicoli

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I always think babyback ribs done 3-2-1 come out too soft. Completely fall off the bone. Some like that. I prefer a better bite thru. I like less time foiled if foiling at all. 2-1-1 for babybacks at 225-250 usually does it for me. I pull using the toothpick test rather than temp or the bend test. No spritz until color is good around 160*-165*. Then spritz half hour if on my pellet grill. No spritz on the Big Green Egg.

Jim
I prefer my ribs bite thru also. I was leaning to the 2-2-1 method. I will try the other tips too!

·
KEVIN CAPS LOCK
79,431 Posts
DOING GOOD BRO...I THINK I NEED TO DO SOME MYSELF...THANKS FOR THE INSPIRE

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
I use my blackstone gas grill, I cut the ribs apart, put some slap ya mama's on them, set them in a foil lined pan, pore a strawberry beer over them, cover with foil, cook on low with top down for about an hour, meat pulling away from the ends good, pull them off the grill, lay some foil on the grill, cover ribs with sweet baby rays and lay them on the foil until caramelized on both sides, rub in the excess sauces and ready to eat, firm meat.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I prefer my ribs bite thru also. I was leaning to the 2-2-1 method. I will try the other tips too!
[/QUO
Nothing wrong with a good braise sometimes. I like ribs also grilled at times. But braising/grilling are way different than smoking.

Babybacks can vary with how much meat is on them. I guess that would dictate my time in the foil and maybe up to that 2 hr mark.

·
Registered
9,473 Posts
My wife has a large slab in the crock pot right now. I'm not a fan of "wet" ribs,,,,4 hrs in the crock,,,move to a baking pan,,light covering of sauce,,we use the broiler to get the "bark" I like. We are going to try 3 different sauces today.
G.Hughes Sugar Free Mustard,,Heintz Texas -Heintz Kansas City..
G.Hughes Original Sugar Free , Pat's Ho Made and local brand Swamp Boys are all very good.

Pat's tastes funny to me ,cold out of the bottle BUT,,after it cooks, it's my All Time Favorite!

·
Former RJ instigator
40,528 Posts
I don't think I've ever cooked ribs the same way twice but they always come out tender & delicious, so apparently I'm doing something right, and you frequent this section of the forum you've seen my handy work.

About the only two constants are I always wrap them and I never spritz them with apple juice or whatever, I prefer a good mop sauce, that' where it's at in my book, that and the smoke flavor of course.

And those ribs done on the flat top above, look awful, but if you and your wife like'em that way, that's all that really matters.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I prefer to put a brown sugar and spices rub on St Louis style ribs and cook them over direct heat on the weber grill.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts