Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i want to know what the 24 victor head that curtis boggs at RFD does for flow . i would like to know the 370cc runner and the 380cc &390 cc runner please let me know

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have tried to contact him about 8 times. Call and even left messages and never got a call back. I would like to talk to him or just see some flow numbers

·
Mike
7,365 Posts
You can call Mike Lewis he has the flow data for the RFD, Sniper X 370s and the AFR 385s. He would know about the head hunters also. (707) 984-6103

·
Registered
20,824 Posts
i want to know what the 24 victor head that curtis boggs at RFD does for flow . i would like to know the 370cc runner and the 380cc &390 cc runner please let me know
I dont want to speak for him but Curtis will be the first to tell you, "you dont buy a head by the Flow Numbers, that what you use to sell heads in mass marketing"

He builds a custom port for your combo. and like the sets he has done for me, they could have been made to flow more but the port and air speeds would not have been right, this is why his stuff works so well, remember a big hole flows a lot of air, it just does not make for a fast engine.

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
I dont want to speak for him but Curtis will be the first to tell you, "you dont buy a head by the Flow Numbers, that what you use to sell heads in mass marketing"

He builds a custom port for your combo. and like the sets he has done for me, they could have been made to flow more but the port and air speeds would not have been right, this is why his stuff works so well, remember a big hole flows a lot of air, it just does not make for a fast engine.

Well said Jeff.

·
Registered
6,616 Posts
Flow #'s are used as a selling tool, not what you want to use to buy quality heads. Curtis builds heads specifically for your engine combo, displacement, compression, RPM range, and intended use as well as a few others. If you get the CSA and airspeed through the port correct you will make more power. And the flow #'s will be correct for what you are building.

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Flow #'s are used as a selling tool, not what you want to use to buy quality heads. Curtis builds heads specifically for your engine combo, displacement, compression, RPM range, and intended use as well as a few others. If you get the CSA and airspeed through the port correct you will make more power. And the flow #'s will be correct for what you are building.
X2!

My engine with RFD Victor 24* conventional BBC heads was just dynoed and made impressive n/a power for a boosted engine.

·
Registered
20,824 Posts
One other thing that should be added to this is, when you get your heads from Curtis and flow them, you can put them on ANYONES bench and they will flow as much or more.

Last winter my heads where flowed just to find out why a Big Name guys heads where so down on flow on a local bench, mine flowed exactly what Curtis said, the other heads where down 18 CFM from what he had claimed, they now Have RFD's on the car. Not just because of the flow, but with the correct port in the head it flowed 30 CFM more than what they had bought as advertised.

·
Registered
7,878 Posts
A engine still needs a certain amount of cfm demand. How can a person choose the correct head if he doesn't know what it flows? A engine with a cylinder head that flows too much, chances are the choke is slow. A engine with a cylinder head that flows too little, chances are the choke is to fast. CFM demand is important..

Choke speed is all relative to what it flows. A poor flowing head with have a smaller CSA than a head flowing well..

It's a can of worms..

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
A engine still needs a certain amount of cfm demand. How can a person choose the correct head if he doesn't know what it flows? A engine with a cylinder head that flows too much, chances are the choke is slow. A engine with a cylinder head that flows too little, chances are the choke is to fast. CFM demand is important..

Choke speed is all relative to what it flows. A poor flowing head with have a smaller CSA than a head flowing well..

It's a can of worms..

Well said Chad. It all has it's place in the program.

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
I'm sorry we have been so damn hard to get ahold of, .. it's been busy.
I have a problem in my shop and I'm well aware of the issue, .. the phone rings at least
every 10 minutes. We can't get any work done so we are trying to correct the shop space
and employees.

This discussion is opening a HUGE can of worms, .. HUGE !

Jeff's post is absolutely correct, heads are custom built for the combo, csa, valve size, valve job etc, ..
even the "sportsman" version is custom cut for csa adjustments.
All of this effects the final CFM number, . but my bench doesn't match 1/2 the worlds benches, ..
I've actually calibrated it to ASME standards with sharp edged orifice plates.
You CAN NOT compare my flow numbers to advertised flow numbers , .. you just can't.

I typically just say avaid flow numbers because it's too deep a discussion to explain on ever phone call

That being said, the typical "sportsman" 24 head flows around 470 on my bench.
Pro series heads have versions that flow as much as 520cfm, .

Chad brings a very good point into this, .. it's just not as easy as a cfm number, there's
a hand full of issues you have to balance to make the best power.
I have seen over 30hp difference between heads with the same cfm numbers and same port volume.
Too big a flow number and typically the head is too big in the wrong places, ..
too low however, doesn't mean it's too small but it does reflect adjustments in airspeed.

Curtis

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
One other thing that should be added to this is, when you get your heads from Curtis and flow them, you can put them on ANYONES bench and they will flow as much or more.

Last winter my heads where flowed just to find out why a Big Name guys heads where so down on flow on a local bench, mine flowed exactly what Curtis said, the other heads where down 18 CFM from what he had claimed, they now Have RFD's on the car. Not just because of the flow, but with the correct port in the head it flowed 30 CFM more than what they had bought as advertised.
Well not on ANYONES bench because I had a set he reworked and got a flow sheet from him. When I got them back I had them reflowed on the same bench before I sent them. They flowed alot less than he said on his flow sheet, in fact flowed less than the first go around. Really tired of hearing how flow numbers dont mean nothing and these so called conservative flow benches. How about giving the customer the correct CSA, velocity and FLOW NUMBERS. I use MBE heads now and his flow numbers he sent were almost exactly the same on the same bench. Not trying to bust balls but you need to be sure before you make statemants like that.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts

It's a can of worms..
Thank you very much Chad Speier..

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
kingjack

Does Matt provide you with all that info? CSA, velocity, and flow numbers? I ask because some are not willing, mostly curious.

Many variables in flow testing..
No he only sent me the flow numbers. The heads are nascar take offs that I sent to him to work on for my motor. They flowed 422 at one inch lift when I got them back. All the stuff my motor man has used from him has made very good power. Last motor was a 461 sbc with reworked hendrick heads from MBE and it made 1006 hp.

·
Registered
20,824 Posts
Well not on ANYONES bench because I had a set he reworked and got a flow sheet from him. When I got them back I had them reflowed on the same bench before I sent them. They flowed alot less than he said on his flow sheet, in fact flowed less than the first go around. Really tired of hearing how flow numbers dont mean nothing and these so called conservative flow benches. How about giving the customer the correct CSA, velocity and FLOW NUMBERS. I use MBE heads now and his flow numbers he sent were almost exactly the same on the same bench. Not trying to bust balls but you need to be sure before you make statemants like that.
I am sure for the heads I have seen with my own eyes, and I am not saying flow numbers mean nothing, I am saying its easy to put up big numbers with a big hole and the speeds are not right. For the most part on flow numbers and head gurus its like fishing "The first lier does not stand a chance"

1 - 20 of 94 Posts