Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
the educated fool
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a reverse manual VB for my TH400.

I know that most reverse manual VB's do not retain engine braking.
I found this one as the only one on summit that does:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TCI-221201/

does anyone have it? and if so, can they comment on it? are the shifts delayed at all?
can anyone recommend one that is better for around the same price?

thanks

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
We make one as well special order.You can contact me if you need additional info.

·
Registered
9,749 Posts

does anyone have it? and if so, can they comment on it? are the shifts delayed at all?

thanks

Is there a reason you need engine braking in 1st or 2nd gear????

·
the educated fool
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It will be a streetcar primarily so I thought it would be beneficial to have. Help slow the car down right? (or do I have the wrong idea)

The car will be slow by bullet standards. 11-12 seconds for now, so I don't want to spend an arm and a leg on a valvebody, but I also don't want one that shifts 500rpm after I move my shifter...

·
Registered
9,749 Posts
well a Rev manual VB will have engine braking in 3rd gear just not 1st or 2nd.... which is a safety thing , you really shouldn't be

downshifting into 2nd or 1st to slow down....... as for the delayed shift, that can depend on how the trans is built also

Buy an ATI rev manual vb and be done with it, they are a blast on the street,,, when you go from high to 2nd gear cruising (off the gas of course)

and mash the petal, they will rpm like a mad man, lock up shift 3rd and hang on.............truly fun on the street.....just my .02

·
the educated fool
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well a Rev manual VB will have engine braking in 3rd gear just not 1st or 2nd.... which is a safety thing , you really shouldn't be

downshifting into 2nd or 1st to slow down....... as for the delayed shift, that can depend on how the trans is built also

Buy an ATI rev manual vb and be done with it, they are a blast on the street,,, when you go from high to 2nd gear cruising (off the gas of course)

and mash the petal, they will rpm like a mad man, lock up shift 3rd and hang on.............truly fun on the street.....just my .02
well, it wouldn't be for downshifting, but I am coasting towards a light...

also, as far as what you just said, I have read from Hutch on here that that is almost like neutral dropping your tranny lol so I don't know about that. My buddies all have stick cars, they can play cat and mouse, I go from a dig:p

·
Registered
328 Posts

thanks
You want a valve body with engine braking, no shifting delay, and at a TCI price.

Sorry I cant help you.

Steve Griner

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
Engine braking is great in a street driven car.It allows the car to slow down faster possibly avoiding injury top the driver or others.On the track there is no one in front of you except the fence.arguement by most is the 400 takes longer to make a 1/2 shift or may cause a bind because it must also exhaust the band on a 1/2 shift in addition to applying the int. clutch pack.The fact is if the valve body is designed correctly the band will exhaust out of the RND passage before the int.clutch pack is applied.Another arguement is the mechanical advantage the servo has on the band apply pulls the reaction carrier off center causing horsepower loss .This is true to a certain extent.The evidence is in the grooving of the reaction carrier as well as the wear pattern sometimes found on the reaction carrier bushing journal in the rear of the center support.Will this kill your trans?NO.A similar argument has been made for the 2/3 shift because we must exhaust the band.This is not true either if the band is released by third clutch oil on a 2/3 shift it will be instant as well.Look how good a factory forward pattern 400 shifts.A design identical/similar with the drive positions reversed will perform just as well if not better.$449.00

·
Registered
328 Posts

Yeah!

I used to do the same thing, I look back now and thankful the trans didn't come through the floor.

Its not a safety thing, Its just the way it works.

·
Super Moderator
19,471 Posts

Didn't notice this before. Are you sure this is good advice?

Hutch

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
It looks like someone at TCI got there hands on a Winters Valve body and put it thru the xerox machine again adding the engine braking as a bonus

·
Registered
9,749 Posts
Didn't notice this before. Are you sure this is good advice?

Hutch
REALLY.....so if i'm in third and i let off the throttle, and shift to second.......which is like a clean neutral, and then stand on the gas it will blow the trans UP??????

thought the whole purpose of no engine braking was for the people who wanted to neutral after the finish could just put it in 2nd and let off.........(REV manual)

Chit i must be a Genius as i have NEVER had one blow up from anything of that nature........

JUST my DUMBASS opinion on the net........ go figure

·
Super Moderator
19,471 Posts
REALLY.....so if i'm in third and i let off the throttle, and shift to second.......which is like a clean neutral, and then stand on the gas it will blow the trans UP??????

thought the whole purpose of no engine braking was for the people who wanted to neutral after the finish could just put it in 2nd and let off.........(REV manual)

Chit i must be a Genius as i have NEVER had one blow up from anything of that nature........

JUST my DUMBASS opinion on the net........ go figure
Im not trying to be an asshole here , just trying to give the best advice to a public audience.

Not sure how to read into your message as far as tone and/or sarcasm?

If you thought putting the car back to 2nd to over run the sprag was "clean neutral" you are about to get an education.

Thats if you want one or maybe you already know and your sarcasm has overcome me.

Its up to you to explain yourself if you want to know.

Hutch

·
the educated fool
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
guys, like I said its NOT a full blown race car here...

You want a valve body with engine braking, no shifting delay, and at a TCI price.

Sorry I cant help you.

Steve Griner
I didn't ask for your help. I said a 500 rpm delay, I am sure there may be other brands that do SOME of what I asked for, without you helping me...if you had a clue you would have pm'ed me a price about your valvebody, since I can't find jack info about it anywhere on your under construction website (hence why I asked that fellow the price)
I know that griner valvebodies are "supposed" to be good. GOOD Obviously don't come cheap. I never mentioned your brand once, so don't come at me like I was asking for the best shit for free. The other fellow mentioned your stuff. If it is as good as people say, and isn't an arm and a leg I would be interested. No need for your sarcasm.

I have tried not being an asshole, but you come off as a cocky smartass. I would rather not do business with someone who acts like that. Please correct me if I am wrong.

·
the educated fool
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It looks like someone at TCI got there hands on a Winters Valve body and put it thru the xerox machine again adding the engine braking as a bonus
are the winters valvebodies something to stay away from?

I don't know much as far as brands/prices go for valvebodies. I have only heard that griner makes good stuff. What can I expect to pay for a middle of the line valve body? I am not setting the world on fire so I don't need the absolute best, just something good, that won't break the bank (after all its a 11-12 second slug here guys)

·
Registered
9,749 Posts
ATI's REV manual VB's are about $ 190.00.......but they only have engine braking in high gear

I have had VERY good luck with them.....and no 500 rpm delay in shifts..... if the trans is right and shifter ADJ.....is right.......

You are in Canada, why not get one from Hutch...............

·
the educated fool
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ATI's REV manual VB's are about $ 190.00.......but they only have engine braking in high gear

I have had VERY good luck with them.....and no 500 rpm delay in shifts..... if the trans is right and shifter ADJ.....is right.......

You are in Canada, why not get one from Hutch...............
Ya, I was actually gonna call him on monday haha.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts