Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
>500HP Carb based 408 no power adders.

Presently using a Holley 12-125 pump fed from a fuel cell and then 3/8" solid line, no regulator to carburetor.

Car is mostly street driven now so I'm planning to replace the very small fuel cell with the OEM fuel tank so I don't have to fill it up every 50 miles.

The factory tank would suck air with anything less than 3/4 tank of gas when launching. So plan is to add a gravity fed swirl pot and feed a return line from a Holley 12-803BP regulator to the swirl pot.

The 12-125 pump is a 7 psi pump. Will this work?

·
Registered
498 Posts
Adding a sump to the factory tank is a good idea to keep a good supply of fuel to the pump during launch, but why run that regulator? Can't you just run a 12-803? Whats keeping you from just running from the tank through a filter to the pump. Then from the pump to the regulator. You could add another filter after the pump just for safe measures. Keep it simple.

BP

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Adding a sump to the factory tank is a good idea to keep a good supply of fuel to the pump during launch, but why run that regulator? Can't you just run a 12-803? Whats keeping you from just running from the tank through a filter to the pump. Then from the pump to the regulator. You could add another filter after the pump just for safe measures. Keep it simple.

BP
Tank will not have a sump.

Main reason:
If the tank is 1/2 full or less the gas moves to the back of the tank when launched, so no fuel is entering the fuel pot without a return feed.

Also
Less likely to get vapor lock with the return line.

·
Registered
498 Posts
if you run a factory type tank you really should consider adding a sump. This way you will significantly reduce the possibility of sucking air when the fuel sloshes around.

For what its worth, I ran a similar pump with the 12-803 regulators for years without a bypass. I don't think its necessary for your setup.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
if you run a factory type tank you really should consider adding a sump. This way you will significantly reduce the possibility of sucking air when the fuel sloshes around.

For what its worth, I ran a similar pump with the 12-803 regulators for years without a bypass. I don't think its necessary for your setup.
I know a sump works well, but sump is out, ministry has a problem with rear sump and exposed AN fittings inches from the rear bumper.

NO SUMP!

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
try one of these

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I called Holley to get some details, my questions and their answers:

What size mat do I need to support 550HP?
- Best to use the largest one you can fit in the tank. The large mat is $600!

What is the minimum diameter hole required for the various mats?
- I don't know, that information is not published

Will this work when used as a gravity feed to an electric pump or only when used with a mechanical pump that is sucking?
- hmmm that's a good question...it should be okay I guess.

Will this product hold up to the Ethanol used in pump gas today?
- hmmm... should be okay?

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
supposied to be making a alky version. do some research on them , I don't think you need the huge one. some other videos on the net. don't always trust the tech guy on the phone might be like some of the guys you get at the cheap auto parts store's!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts