Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m installing a new fuel cell in my LS swapped 78 fairmont including a E85 flex sensor.

My question is am I better off returning below or above the fuel level? If I return below it will eliminate foaming from fuel splash but will it create a fuel pressure issue forcing it in below the fuel level?

Also I assume it’s a wise idea to add a toll over valve and not just a vent even though I’m not planning on rolling over lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
327 Posts
I dump my return right into top of cell and haven’t had any problems and I don’t have the foam in it. If concerned you could drop a tube close to the bottom. And yeah add a rollover valve, upside down and on fire seems like a bad thing.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
I've never had an issue with foaming, On the street the only issue I had was the fuel slosh uncovering the pickup so I made some baffle to fix it.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My cell has a small sump, you guys run the foam in the cell? I’m switching to E85 so I need to get down rated for it as well.
I have to weld a bung to the cell anyway since I’m putting a flex fuel sensor right before the tank. I guess it doesn’t hurt to dump it below the fuel level though right?

·
Registered
16,386 Posts
It appears your return is no where near where your feeds are at, plus the pumps are external, so you will most likely be fine, but yes, best practice is to have a deflector of some sort in the tank, so the return stream doesn't create a lot of foaming. I wouldn't run foam with E85. That shits nasty. I would be concerned about fuel movement in the tank under heavy acceleration/deceleration. Your probably going to need to run a fair amount of fuel to ensure the pumps don't starve under deceleration.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They make foam R85 rated now, it’s not cheap. It might be worth it to avoid slosh. I also though about fitting a holly hydra-May in the tank but DAM there expensive!!

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I built mine with a sectioned-off sump area and I return just above the lowered sump section but within the CSA of the return line for a gap to the wall, if that makes sense (I matched the gap between the outlet and the wall of the sump section to the CSA of the pipe I used so it isn't a flow restriction but is as close as possible). That way the fuel hits the wall and runs down instead of falling out into space, but since it returns to the sump area I can run on fumes no problem if I need a few more miles to get to an E85 station.

·
Registered
24,269 Posts
Whos fuel cell ?

Most have a rollover built into the vent .

Problem is , at least with the Summit cells , the ball can get stuck and pressurize the tank .

I had to add a second vent to mine .

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It’s a speed daddy eBay special I need to add a roll over vent for sure.

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
I just had an issue with aeration and had to get it below the fuel level. Mine is a magnafuel 500 pump on a carb setup but you get the point.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I had a bung welded by the sump below the fuel level so I guess I made the right choice.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Yes, a roll over valve .... with a filter on the end of the vent hose.... there is air going in there! I also like to put a vertical loop in the vent hose.
As far as the return, I come in from the top, with a down tube in the cell to about an inch off the bottom. I'm running a carb.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts