Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 263 Posts

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Customer contacted me a couple of month ago with build on a 454SS Pickup. The engine was coming down and he wanted to go hyd roller. He wanted to keep this thing in stealth mode with a mild idle, no more then 5000 rpm, QJet with OEM intake on a set of peanut ports.

He had ported the peanuts and got me the numbers. This is what I put in it:
550/485
210/224
109 Sep

Got the dyno numbers today and for a little pump gas 468 not to bad. She is the little engine that could.

Peak torque 3000 rpm 600#
Peak HP at 5000 rpm 468

At 4100 rpm the engine is making 560# ft.

Fuel is 208.8 at 5000 rpm and BSFC is .469.

From 4600 to 5200 she was above 460HP.

·
Registered
14,768 Posts
funny lookin cam...not so funny lookin results.:smt103
Darn good job, Chris. More "believers" every day.;)

·
Registered
70,154 Posts
Very nice!

·
Registered
14,768 Posts
Yup. More every day. This small head small cam low RPM engine has BMEP's (190+) that are very close to a NASCAR Cup engine. Yea, I'm believing that.
Too many factors in BMEP numbers to make a fair comparison.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Too many factors in BMEP numbers to make a fair comparison.
Too many factors in BMEP numbers??? Its just a pretty simple calculation to give you a basic understanding of how well the sum of the parts are working.

The fact is that the sum of the parts in this engine don't work out to the HP. The stock intake is an airflow killer, and the Qjet will work great if it was set up 100% correct by one of the few people that can do it.

·
Registered
14,768 Posts
Too many factors in BMEP numbers??? Its just a pretty simple calculation to give you a basic understanding of how well the sum of the parts are working.

The fact is that the sum of the parts in this engine don't work out to the HP. The stock intake is an airflow killer, and the Qjet will work great if it was set up 100% correct by one of the few people that can do it.
Exactly my point (you didn't get the sarcasm). It is what it is. I'd say the parts are working together very well. ;)
Try to not drag this into the gutter, Bill. We know you hate Straub but try to keep that in perspective. Say something constructive for once, not just some stupid assumptions based on your hate.

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow I would love to get that kind of power out of my 1994 GMC Dually truck.
I will have another set of dyno sheets late this week as he is going to dyno it with stock exhaust manifolds. The above power was with 1.750" headers.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Exactly my point (you didn't get the sarcasm). It is what it is. I'd say the parts are working together very well. ;)
Try to not drag this into the gutter, Bill. We know you hate Straub but try to keep that in perspective. Say something constructive for once, not just some stupid assumptions based on your hate.

If anyone is trying to drag this into the gutter, its you. I could care less that straub put the cam in it. As I said, the SUM of the parts don't work to make this HP.(and of course that includes the entire induction system) I am stating information, based on known engine builds by other people (not me) with MUCH better parts, that make this HP. Why don't you post this engine on OSO and see what they say about it.;)

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
If anyone is trying to drag this into the gutter, its you. I could care less that straub put the cam in it. As I said, the SUM of the parts don't work to make this HP.(and of course that includes the entire induction system) I am stating information, based on known engine builds by other people (not me) with MUCH better parts, that make this HP. Why don't you post this engine on OSO and see what they say about it.;)
Bill, the sum of the parts can make 470 HP, easily on a real dyno corrected (STP) 29.92 baro, 60 degrees dry air.

·
Registered
14,768 Posts
So what you're syaing is you really have no experience to back what you're syaing...in essence, you don't know what you're talking about.
Thanks for clearing that up. ;)

·
Registered
131 Posts
So what you're syaing is you really have no experience to back what you're syaing...in essence, you don't know what you're talking about.
Thanks for clearing that up. ;)

Its pretty straightforward what I saying. The sum of those parts don't equal the numbers claimed. dream it if you want to. I'm not "syaing" the words you are trying to put in my mouth.

I think we all know who John Lingenfelter is. If you want to claim that you or VP is better than he was, go for it, because I know I'm not. You seem to have found Google, so start searching and see what numbers he was able to make with a 502. Then come back here and tell the world that a 454 with much lesser parts did better.

·
Registered
23,942 Posts
Customer contacted me a couple of month ago with build on a 454SS Pickup. The engine was coming down and he wanted to go hyd roller. He wanted to keep this thing in stealth mode with a mild idle, no more then 5000 rpm, QJet with OEM intake on a set of peanut ports.

He had ported the peanuts and got me the numbers. This is what I put in it:
550/485
210/224
109 Sep

Got the dyno numbers today and for a little pump gas 468 not to bad. She is the little engine that could.

Peak torque 3000 rpm 600#
Peak HP at 5000 rpm 468

At 4100 rpm the engine is making 560# ft.

Fuel is 208.8 at 5000 rpm and BSFC is .469.

From 4600 to 5200 she was above 460HP.
Definitely nice......, and also works out good that its in a truck. Cause it is sure looks like its making truck power. !

If I ever want to move my house, I'm looking for the guy that owns this puppy.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Its pretty straightforward what I saying. The sum of those parts don't equal the numbers claimed. dream it if you want to. I'm not "syaing" the words you are trying to put in my mouth.

I think we all know who John Lingenfelter is. If you want to claim that you or VP is better than he was, go for it, because I know I'm not. You seem to have found Google, so start searching and see what numbers he was able to make with a 502. Then come back here and tell the world that a 454 with much lesser parts did better.
Bill, If I took my 9.2 comp, [email protected] Hyd Flattappet cammed, peanut port 467 (517 plus HP ) down to Reher Morrison and put it on their dyno, and had Darin Morgan supervise and validate the test would you accept the results? :smt102

·
Registered
131 Posts
Bill, If I took my 9.2 comp, [email protected] Hyd Flattappet cammed, peanut port 467 (517 plus HP ) down to Reher Morrison and put it on their dyno, and had Darin Morgan supervise and validate the test would you accept the results? :smt102

This thread has NOTHING to do with your claims. I don't care what your engines do or don't do. All you seem to want to do is dyno race.

If you are really trying to tell me that you are better than John Lingenfelter, then have fun living in your dream world.

·
pig hunter
9,424 Posts
mark that sounds like a huge NO from 5325user lol...

·
Registered
14,768 Posts
This thread has NOTHING to do with your claims. I don't care what your engines do or don't do. All you seem to want to do is dyno race.

If you are really trying to tell me that you are better than John Lingenfelter, then have fun living in your dream world.
LOL...Bill...this is as close as I can come to finding a pic of you working on an engine:
"Monkey with a grinder"

1 - 20 of 263 Posts