Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to get my oiling system figured out on a new engine and I am wondering what pushrods I need to order.

I have a stock f-body oil pan with the improved racing baffle with the pick-up tube moved to the back. I plan on running 7-8 quarts, but I also know I need to run some restricted pushrods.

I am going to run 3/8 pushrods but what wall thickness and what size restrictor tips to order.

I dont want to restrict the pushrods to the point that I need squirters.

Any help will be appreciated

thanks

·
Registered
353 Posts
I am trying to get my oiling system figured out on a new engine and I am wondering what pushrods I need to order.

I have a stock f-body oil pan with the improved racing baffle with the pick-up tube moved to the back. I plan on running 7-8 quarts, but I also know I need to run some restricted pushrods.

I am going to run 3/8 pushrods but what wall thickness and what size restrictor tips to order.

thanks
We ended up going from 100 thou to 50 thou on my motor and had zero issues. Still alot of oil getting to the top

·
Registered
49,494 Posts

thanks

0.050 works good as 315plus mentioned, just make sure the springs are getting enough oil etc. a 3/8 o.080 push rod should work fine for most ls engine builds without a need for grinding on the head. If you can't fit 3/8 a .120 5/16 might suffice. Whats the details on the valvetrain ?

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
Call Manton they have options. I have .060 in mine. 11/32. .118 wall

Tim

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
3/8" .120 Wall here with .040" restirction
not much oil up stairs for me even going through traps at 7800 ;)

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I never use them on anything but some hydraulic rollers that were getting a ton up there.

Higher pressure solid rollers they are a no no unless you really know what you are doing.

Seen tons of burned up pushrods on the high pressure solid rollers from any restriction.

·
Registered
49,494 Posts
I never use them on anything but some hydraulic rollers that were getting a ton up there.

Higher pressure solid rollers they are a no no unless you really know what you are doing.

Seen tons of burned up pushrods on the high pressure solid rollers from any restriction.
A bunch of the solid lifters come pre restricted.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Smith Bros out of Oregen is another place that will custom make pushrods super quick.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Afr 225 heads, comp limited travel lifters, pac springs (180ish on the seat), T&d shaft mounts

We will do the machining to make the 3/8 push rods work. I am using a precision oil pumps 10296 melling.

Thanks everyone

·
Registered
49,494 Posts
I'd personally start with a 0.050 restricted tip pushrod, then check oiling to the top end, if it needs more bump the hole a couple of drill sizes till it looks happy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts