Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, been around for a while, but mostly lurk since I can find most answers by searching old threads. Couldn't find anything on this subject though.
I'll cop to being old school, but I've always restricted the oil to the top end in my racing engines. We are building a new 588 for our drag boat and my dyno guy/engine building "consultant" says nowadays, most believe it's more important to not restrict the oil but let it flow to the top end to cool the valve springs. I'm a bit reluctant as I don't want to pump a bunch of oil up top. So how about it... do you guys use oil restrictors or not...
Thanks

·
T/S 368E
33,623 Posts

I don't use them anymore.

·
Banned
71,969 Posts
Not here, not any longer.

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
I run them in the front of this Dart block but they are not real small. I forget the size but compared to the old type used in the GM blocks these are alot bigger. I only run 1/8 mile also. This is year two on the 565 motor and 150 passes and the springs are doing fine so far. I set them up at 310 at the exhausts are still 300 while the intakes have dropped to 270 from the heavy valves. RM

·
Registered
644 Posts
I'm nobody special, but I've never used them and if something comes to me with them, it leaves without them. A lot of the stuff I do for people is driven on the street and I'd much rather have that oil up there cooling off the springs than not.

·
Banned
71,969 Posts
I'm nobody special, but I've never used them and if something comes to me with them, it leaves without them. A lot of the stuff I do for people is driven on the street and I'd much rather have that oil up there cooling off the springs than not.

Yep.
Not only best thing for the springs but also roller lifters on a solid roller set-up. To go further, roller lifters w/ pressure fed oil to the axle and bearings is a real good investment too.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Yep.
Not only best thing for the springs but also roller lifters on a solid roller set-up. To go further, roller lifters w/ pressure fed oil to the axle and bearings is a real good investment too.
X2

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yep.
Hadn't even considered the pressure fed oil to the lifters... Ours are and I guess it doesn't make sense to restrict that oil.. Good point, thanks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts