Yellow Bullet Forums banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
There's alot of ways to interpret Restomod
Mine is a numbers matching 66 Impala 396 4spd car. I removed the original powertrain (still have) and installed a Scott Shafiroff 730 hp 540 with a Mike Moran f.i. setup. Controlled by Big Stuff 3 and a 5 spd Tremec.
390 geared 12 bolt TruTrac. Replaced the factory air with Vintage Air. Installed 2in drop spindles with manual disc-drum with steelies. Dakota Digital gauges. Looks stock. Dependable and gets decent mileage. Id post a pic but.... its on the cover of Hemmings Muscle Machines

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
With all the crate engines offered today it would be hard to not upgrade the driveline, Better gas mileage, Get in and turn the key and drive across the country while making almost 500hp and still getting better gas mileage. My S10 idles smooth but makes around 580whp with a LSA supercharged 6.0 and TR6060 trans and gets better gas mileage than the 180hp 4.3 that I pulled out.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Light

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
Better gas mileage can and DOES happen with modded BBc. We have a 600+Hp 468 in a '70 El Camino SS 454. Upgraded to to EFI and 4L80. His buddy has a LS Firefird. On a 3+ hr cruise with some highway, the El Camino used $2.00 more fuel then the less LS.

Bet Steve has put 40,000 miles on that El Camino travelling to show throughout the USA and Canada. BUT then again, some of our Z06 Vette's pack well over 700Hp and have seen over 30 MPG in them....

·
Registered
570 Posts
Better gas mileage can and DOES happen with modded BBc. We have a 600+Hp 468 in a '70 El Camino SS 454. Upgraded to to EFI and 4L80. His buddy has a LS Firefird. On a 3+ hr cruise with some highway, the El Camino used $2.00 more fuel then the less LS.

Bet Steve has put 40,000 miles on that El Camino travelling to show throughout the USA and Canada. BUT then again, some of our Z06 Vette's pack well over 700Hp and have seen over 30 MPG in them....
Mine probably would get 20ish on the highway. It cruises 80 mph at 2k rpm. Raced a friends Z06 and put 3 cars on him, with his traction control off to make it fair. Lol
Personally i cant stand the looks of a LS.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
I think rare original cars should stay that way but out of all my cars I prefer my 71 challenger with efi and 5-speed manual because i can get in it and go anytime and it runs/drives great. I have no interest ina street driven race car, I just enjoy the driving experience in a body you never see out and about anymore. Just my $.02
My point of view exactly.

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
Ron don't get me wrong, the late model LS stuff does have it's places. BUT I see all to many times people spend a good amount of $$$ expecting a huge savings and that is not always the case.

·
Aviation Section
27,196 Posts
There's alot of ways to interpret Restomod
Mine is a numbers matching 66 Impala 396 4spd car. I removed the original powertrain (still have) and installed a Scott Shafiroff 730 hp 540 with a Mike Moran f.i. setup. Controlled by Big Stuff 3 and a 5 spd Tremec.
390 geared 12 bolt TruTrac. Replaced the factory air with Vintage Air. Installed 2in drop spindles with manual disc-drum with steelies. Dakota Digital gauges. Looks stock. Dependable and gets decent mileage. Id post a pic but.... its on the cover of Hemmings Muscle Machines
That's what I am talking about!

·
Aviation Section
27,196 Posts
Yes, not going to able to afford the big dog Chevelle with the 454. I guess my dream car would be a '69 or '70 396 car in the same dark green paint as the truck. As long as it looks original on the outside but has some modern, subtle conveniences that would be ideal. In East Texas it has to have AC.
You CAN afford an LS5 car that is still a 454, the LS6 454 is going to be quite expensive but the LS5 is still affordable, go for it! Here is one place of many to start looking:

Chevelles For Sale (mysterychevelle.com)

·
Registered
998 Posts
Restomod.

I had a completely stock '68 Firebird. I switched it to FI and rims/tires and that was a bit better, but missed having overdrive and some of the modern conveniences so I didn't cruise it as much as I would have liked to.

My car now has a BB and 200 4R with 31x18.5 tires and I cruise at under 2000rpm. I drive it quite a bit, even though it has ladder bars and quite a bit rougher ride.

If you plan to drive more than show, get some modern conveniences. If you plan to mostly show, original will probably make you happier.

Just my $.02, prob not even worth half that.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Man, what a nice truck!
Thank you! My wife actually found it on FB in Topeka, Kansas. It runs like a top with the Q-jet. We're going to keep it stock and call it a day. I converted the AC system to R134A.

Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Car Vehicle

Car Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Steering wheel

We'll keep shopping for the right GM muscle car. As someone stated I do believe when I see the right one I'll know it. Wanting a BB, stick car and if it's fuel injected with some modern conveniences that's all the better.

·
Registered
12,791 Posts
While I enjoy creature comforts as much as anyone I personally want to feel the bumps in the road, hear the whine of the M22 gears as I shift and even like the squishy suspension a bit. I know crazy huh. Lol. If I wanted to drive a all frills car I'd take the Mrs SUV out. I like the old cars for what they are, what they were ND a by gone Era of what was. If you make your car ride and drive like your Toyota Camary then why not just drive the Yota to the store.
Exactly, a young fella I talked to with a stock Model T said it was more fun to drive and takes more concentration than anything else he's had. Going 60 feels like 160

·
Registered
26,337 Posts
Thank you! My wife actually found it on FB in Topeka, Kansas. It runs like a top with the Q-jet. We're going to keep it stock and call it a day. I converted the AC system to R134A.

View attachment 298210

View attachment 298211

View attachment 298213

We'll keep shopping for the right GM muscle car. As someone stated I do believe when I see the right one I'll know it. Wanting a BB, stick car and if it's fuel injected with some modern conveniences that's all the better.
Did you get the Q-Jet working right?

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
It still gives us a little trouble with cold starts but once it's going it runs as nicely as any EFI unit. I've been in contact with Cliff and he asked me to mail it to him after the first of the year and he would go through it.

·
Registered
581 Posts
While I enjoy creature comforts as much as anyone I personally want to feel the bumps in the road, hear the whine of the M22 gears as I shift and even like the squishy suspension a bit. I know crazy huh. Lol. If I wanted to drive a all frills car I'd take the Mrs SUV out. I like the old cars for what they are, what they were ND a by gone Era of what was. If you make your car ride and drive like your Toyota Camary then why not just drive the Yota to the store. Just my humble opinion and goes to show how a 100 different people can give 100 different opinions. But in the end do what makes YOU and your beautiful MRS happy. Its all Smiles Per Miles. And BTW what a great looking truck! Love it!
This^^, I like the way old cars ride and drive with a few improvements. My Chevelle was a non matching SS 396 car when I bought it, so I added a stout 496, a/c, Tremec 5 speed and a nice stereo. I love driving it and drive it as much as I can. Looks stock on the outside except the wheels. I lowered the front since this was taken.
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Hood

21 - 37 of 37 Posts