Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wife and I sold our '72 Chevelle earlier this summer. We owned it for about 6 years and I made a couple bucks on it when it went to California. The car was a restomod and as clean and cool as it was it wasn't user friendly if you will. It had a giant solid roller, full cage, battery and fuel cell in the trunk (zero room for lawn chairs) and NO PS, heat, AC, wipers ... etc.

Car Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle

Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Car Automotive tire

We found ourselves not using it as much as we should.

Before the Chevelle sold we bought a '71 GMC Sierra Grande with the numbers matching 402/TH400 and 12-bolt with AC. Truck underwent a frame-off before we bought it.

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Sky

Car Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle

We don't drag race much anymore but like to go relax at car shows or local cruises. I'd like to buy another one and am looking at '68-'72 Chevelles or a Nova in the same age range.

Can't decide if I want a restomod or fully original muscle car. My hope is for it to hold its value and let us go to cars shows together. What does the Bullet think?

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I think rare original cars should stay that way but out of all my cars I prefer my 71 challenger with efi and 5-speed manual because i can get in it and go anytime and it runs/drives great. I have no interest ina street driven race car, I just enjoy the driving experience in a body you never see out and about anymore. Just my $.02

·
Aviation Section
27,196 Posts
I have had lot of both but all my Corvettes were original, even the LS5 454 cars, and they were boring to drive. Settled on a mostly original 1964 Grand Prix with a 421 and a factory 4 speed, optioned, even with A/C. It was originally a 389 car that someone installed a 421 Tri-Power engine in that is almost 11 to 1,376 HP and hard to live with on the street as it needs octane booster and lead additive. Have a .060 Pontiac that is a mild build with a RAIV cam going back in that will make as much power and do it on pump gas.
The Pontiac is a .060 over 400 with Performer RPM intake, new 4150 Holley and complete MSD ignition. I will run the factory Long Branch exhaust from the 421.
Also have a Pro Street 1967 Chevelle SS that will have a 632 when it goes back together. It had a 496 in it that made 702HP N/A but I wanted more.

For me I want it to look stock mostly on the outside but be modded on the inside and run much better then original.

Love the truck you bought and like it just the way it is, the Chevelle was nice also but I like the truck better. Being that you and your wife are both teachers an LS6 is prolly out of the question an LS5 1970 Chevelle SS is doable, go for it!

Reactions: BLUEOVALRACER

·
Super Moderator
49,490 Posts
Does it have to be one or the other? I like original restorations just for the historical value,...and resto mods are cool too, but my perfect car would be an original car on the outside, with some better seats and gauges on the inside, and some more user friendly additions like fuel injection, power steering and brakes if it doesn't have those, and subtle suspension upgrades. Not a full on resto mod with power windows, navigation, blue tooth, tubular suspension parts, modern engine with a turbo, computers, etc,..etc,...

Just something with the old school look, but something that's a little more reliable and easier to put a couple hundred miles on at a time.

·
Registered
11,992 Posts
No matter what you do, someone will tell you how you should have done it differently. Do whatever's going to get you the most enjoyment for your buck, just make sure it's cool.

Sweet truck, btw

·
Registered
3,459 Posts
Resto mod is the way to go but make sure it's got a modern power plant (maybe an LS fuel injected swap?) and an overdriven transmission. We're so used to driving new cars that have it all such as power steering, power brakes, power windows, power door locks, A/C, Blu-tooth stereos, etc.... that if you have all of that in your older car as a restomod, you'll enjoy it a lot more.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have had lot of both but all my Corvettes were original, even the LS5 454 cars, and they were boring to drive. Settled on a mostly original 1964 Grand Prix with a 421 and a factory 4 speed, optioned, even with A/C. It was originally a 389 car that someone installed a 421 Tri-Power engine in that is almost 11 to 1,376 HP and hard to live with on the street as it needs octane booster and lead additive. Have a .060 Pontiac that is a mild build with a RAIV cam going back in that will make as much power and do it on pump gas.
The Pontiac is a .060 over 400 with Performer RPM intake, new 4150 Holley and complete MSD ignition. I will run the factory Long Branch exhaust from the 421.
Also have a Pro Street 1967 Chevelle SS that will have a 632 when it goes back together. It had a 496 in it that made 702HP N/A but I wanted more.

For me I want it to look stock mostly on the outside but be modded on the inside and run much better then original.

Love the truck you bought and like it just the way it is, the Chevelle was nice also but I like the truck better. Being that you and your wife are both teachers an LS6 is prolly out of the question an LS5 1970 Chevelle SS is doable, go for it!
Yes, not going to able to afford the big dog Chevelle with the 454. I guess my dream car would be a '69 or '70 396 car in the same dark green paint as the truck. As long as it looks original on the outside but has some modern, subtle conveniences that would be ideal. In East Texas it has to have AC.

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
Why not do a mild restomod deal. I posted this on another site:

"Mine is a 1967 Nova SS. T400 with Gear Vendor, 9" with 4.33's 3200 stall and 29.5 x 11.5 tire. NOT sure if I will put AC in it but car is getting PW's. MOTOR: BMP 4.530 bore ALUMINUM block with Scat 4 " stroke so 515 inches. Scat 6.535 rods and Wiseco 13cc piston. NOT sure on what SR cam yet. Heads were supposed to be Flotek 290's with RPM air gap, BUT we also just picked up a nice 522 for a customer that has the Dart/Sonnys 320 cc sq port heads and matching Team G. Holley Sniper Xflow efi going on as well.

Figure THAT car should run at least 9.40's or so and drive wherever.

Bought/buying a 1967 Beaumont SD that will get another 500 inch pump gas driver. It is already set up with 396 that will be swapped out,."

That will be a drive anywhere build. EFI, AC, cruise and OD trans. But should look.
Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Car Vehicle

Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Vehicle Car

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
Seeing as your sticking with GM. It is fairly easy for one to make a streetable pump gas 468+ bbc go 650Hp with GM dual plane intake. Would look stock with headers and us a Sniper 650 EFI and 4L80/700f4/200r trans or TKO/T56 manual trans.

·
Registered
4,538 Posts
For a driver, a resto-mod for sure.

Efi is the way to go to if you want to put miles on it. I made the switch to LS stuff and it is quite easy to make power and they are really reliable. I have a 6.0 with LS3 heads and a 220/224 cam and it makes about 430 whp. It gets mid 20mpgs cruising around which is almost double what I got out of my last 355 carbed sbc.

·
44,045 Posts
I have a numbers matching 69 Tripower Corvette project car...On the fence about selling the drive train and making it a restomod...I think i'll make more off of it if I go that route, as opposed to keeping it original.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
I have had a very correct 67 Chevelle and if I were to do it again it would be a restomod.
The only thing not original on mine was the stereo and the HEI distributor and I went nuts trying to find that perfect OEM trim piece and A/C control and swore I would never do another restoration. I also had a 66 that was not original and have thought about doing a 65 as more of a touring hot rod.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
my perfect car would be an original car on the outside, with some better seats and gauges on the inside, and some more user friendly additions like fuel injection, power steering and brakes if it doesn't have those, and subtle suspension upgrades.

Just something with the old school look, but something that's a little more reliable and easier to put a couple hundred miles on at a time.
Agreed, that's pretty much exactly what I did with my 69 Charger.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
I think I have more fun street driving 100% stock antique cars now than I do cars that have been street rodded to some extent. I used to be the compete opposite.

How primitive everything is, that is much of the charm. Also there is some "time machine" quality to the driving experience that disappears when you add a modern touch.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Unless you purchase a numbers matching SS and/or RS that you would want to keep original, definitely go with a car with Restomod. With updates like EFI, 4 wheel disc brakes, overdrive transmission, modern ignition system, etc. The updates just make the car a safer much more enjoyable vehicle to drive. Good Luck , Be sure and post up what you purchase. (y)

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Depends completely on being honest with yourself as to what is going to make you happy with how you intend to drive it. A Swiss army knife does nothing well so pick a direction and stick with it.

But here is my .02. That truck should have adequate brakes already with the disks in front. A change to better pads will make it stop quicker and since you won't be daily driving it who cares about pad life? Want to upgrade the go department? Aftermarket heads, a new torque oriented cam and a fuel injection unit could really improve the drivability. Make sure the AC works, maybe add cruise control and drive the crap out of it. Pack all the original parts away for the next guy to put on his shelf. If you find that you really want more power, handling, stopping etc. then it's time for a different platform.

·
Registered
5,700 Posts
While I enjoy creature comforts as much as anyone I personally want to feel the bumps in the road, hear the whine of the M22 gears as I shift and even like the squishy suspension a bit. I know crazy huh. Lol. If I wanted to drive a all frills car I'd take the Mrs SUV out. I like the old cars for what they are, what they were ND a by gone Era of what was. If you make your car ride and drive like your Toyota Camary then why not just drive the Yota to the store. Just my humble opinion and goes to show how a 100 different people can give 100 different opinions. But in the end do what makes YOU and your beautiful MRS happy. Its all Smiles Per Miles. And BTW what a great looking truck! Love it!

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
I’ve been in this predicament for a while myself with my 63’ Ford. It’s mostly original but it’s not a rare combo or model. I will upgrade to disc brakes, better wheels and upgrade the power train.

Modern upgrades make these old vehicles more pleasant and safer to drive. My manual 4 wheel manual drum brakes are shit and got to go. I’ll be ordering Wilwoods soon.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts