Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My trailer is getting a little old looking and I was thinking of re-skinning it. Anyone do this? Mine is screwed outside, what do they use for adhesive to do the screwless ones? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
116 Posts
I will share my experience. About 2 two years ago I have purchased an old Haullmark 28 ft enclosed race trailer. The exterior skin was riveted and the previous owner did not take care of the trailer. Water found its way behind the panels and rotten some support studs. The under frame was in good shape and well built. I thought: this is an easy job, just buy new panels and replace some studs. But soon I realized there is more work involved. In my case: The interior panels has to come out first and then the roof skin second. Third was the exterior moldings. Lastly I had to grind most of the rivets out of the exterior skin. This was pretty easy and straight forward. Then I realized there was more side studs that needs to be replaced. The rear main frame where the door hinges on needed repair also. I took the whole wooden floor out. Everything was garbage. I just saved the exterior Aluminum molding trims. I welded all the new studs and replace the rear frame where the door hinges to. Decided to upgrade to 16 inch wheels. Bought new 49" panels for the exterior and exterior in color white. I decided to use double sided tape for the panel bonding. 3M sells especially formulated two sided bonded tape for this purpose. A couple of months ago started the outside paneling process and this is pretty easy and straight forward. Believe it or not: it can be done by one person, but an extra hand is always helpful. I dont have much time to finish it right now, because I am finishing my car at the same time. But it is nice to have some extra time to think of features that you want to install. I am planning to install a winch under the floor. I just purchased harbor freight cabinets. A new AC 15.000 and now I am thinking about the rewiring process. I also installed foam as insulation between the outside panels and inside panels. Will snap some pictures later on.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I was thinking of raising the roof an extra 12 inches, but then I decided it will be too much work and perhaps I will never finish the trailer, so I opted to leave it at the standard height. I had bought new front aluminum top roof corners with stainless steel molding years ago and decided to use these in this trailer rebuilt. I had to cut and re-weld support bars for this new type of front corner molds. My old haulmark had the old version made of fiberglass.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Oops sorry,,,link does not work. But either way: if the side posts are in good shape, it is very easy to reskin in with 3m bonded tape

·
Registered
8 Posts
My trailer is getting a little old looking and I was thinking of re-skinning it. Anyone do this? Mine is screwed outside, what do they use for adhesive to do the screwless ones? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
No problem. Call Bravo Trailers and ask to speak with Wayne Tolliver or send him an email at [email protected]

1 - 14 of 14 Posts