Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
10,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad is adding on to his house right now and he decided to just go ahead and reroof the entire house... Just wanting to make sure we aren't getting screwed in any way... This is pretty much the only field we don't know anyone in in thr construction business... It's gonna be a shingle roof... Let me know what all you guys need to know... Thanks!

Kevin Craig

·
Registered
335 Posts
maybe if you are shingling over it. Materials will cost you about $125 a square right now. Install depends on the pitch, between $65 and $100 per square. If you are tearing off the old shingles, we usually charge around $300 a square, with materials. We are in the northeast, pricing is prolly different for different areas.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
My dad is adding on to his house right now and he decided to just go ahead and reroof the entire house... Just wanting to make sure we aren't getting screwed in any way... This is pretty much the only field we don't know anyone in in thr construction business... It's gonna be a shingle roof... Let me know what all you guys need to know... Thanks!

Kevin Craig

San Antonio? Get a standing seam metal roof with a radiant underlayment if you can. Resale, maintenance, and life of roof are way cheaper in the long run.

·
RIP Dave - YB will miss you
25,442 Posts

Kevin Craig
I'm a 23 yr home improvement contractor that does roofing primarily.........Don't do a half ass nail over....tear it off and do it right with a dimensional shingle with at least a 90mph wind rating.

·
25,442 Posts
San Antonio? Get a standing seam metal roof with a radiant underlayment if you can. Resale, maintenance, and life of roof are way cheaper in the long run.
Great for hurricanes and hail storms also..........most home owners insurance will give a discount for installing a metal roof.

·
Senior Moment
9,664 Posts
Great for hurricanes and hail storms also..........most home owners insurance will give a discount for installing a metal roof.
:confused:,,,TLW

·
Registered
22,513 Posts
It depends what kind of shingles you want, and it depends what pitch your roof is. Then of course the area of the roof.

Architect shingles at Lowes in your area are $90/sq. plus nails and felt paper which is about another $20/sq.
After that, you need to find out what they charge per sq. and find out the quality of their work.

·
Banned
18,012 Posts
These threads are always productive...ask a very vague question with no details on a site with 60,000 members, all of which think they are experts on everything...:rolleyes:

·
workin it
7,778 Posts
Kevin, make sure you see how they are installing the shingles. If they arent putting the nails in the right place on the shingle, they tear through the single ply of the material-this is assuming youre going with laminate shingles-also, no staples!
Roofers are notorious down in our area for not installing the shingles right-apparently it doesnt translate well into spanish on how to do it correctly, just quickly...good luck

·
Registered
10,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the contribution, CCSguy... Your post has just been thrown in my "go fuck yourself" bin

·
Registered
430 Posts
Kevin, make sure you see how they are installing the shingles. If they arent putting the nails in the right place on the shingle, they tear through the single ply of the material-this is assuming youre going with laminate shingles-also, no staples!
Roofers are notorious down in our area for not installing the shingles right-apparently it doesnt translate well into spanish on how to do it correctly, just quickly...good luck
And make sure the nails are laying away from the seam of the next row so it doesn't leak.

I've done lots of roofs and from my experience I would do a metal roof. If you are going to shingle it, don't be a cheap ass and buy 3tab, put an acitectual lifetime on it.

·
Banned
18,012 Posts
Thanks for the contribution, CCSguy... Your post has just been thrown in my "go fuck yourself" bin
Fair enough sir. I should have worded it differently. Your reply is sig worthy...:p

·
25,442 Posts
It depends what kind of shingles you want, and it depends what pitch your roof is. Then of course the area of the roof.

Architect shingles at Lowes in your area are $90/sq. plus nails and felt paper which is about another $20/sq.
After that, you need to find out what they charge per sq. and find out the quality of their work.
90 a sq for entry level dimensional shingles
Felt
drip edge
flashing
ice guard for valley and eaves
ventilation
dump fees and trash removal
county license to legally haul construction debris
contractors license
perforrmance bond
permit fees
workers comp