Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a cousin who had the clutch replaced in his 94 S-10 and had a couple of questions for you guys. When you replace a clutch like this isnt it a good idea to replace the slave cylinder and the master cylinder along with the fluid in the clutch system? The reason I am asking is because in the past when I have dont this type of work I just went ahead a replaced it all. He paid a mechanic to do the work and I asked him to change both the master and slave cylinder, but all he replaced was the slave cylinder. The fluid is as black as it was the day we dropped it off. Should I take the truck back to the mechanic and tell him to fix it like I asked or just let it go. My cousin doesnt know anything about this type of stuff so its kind of up to me to watch out for him, being that I am the only one in the family that loves cars. What do you think needs to be done, I have always lived by the rule that when it comes to clutches on daily drivers, replace everything at once. Give me your thoughts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sorry, I was in the wrong area when I posted, thought i was in the transmission area.

·
Registered
646 Posts
if the fluid is still black , dought the slave was even changed. i would expect it of my customers.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I would always replace the two as it falls into that category of:"It's apart, do it now" instead of a month later when it starts leaking.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I would always replace the two as it falls into that category of:"It's apart, do it now" instead of a month later when it starts leaking.
x2. Do it now or later...your choice.

·
Cut me in or cut it out!
2,650 Posts
x2. Do it now or later...your choice.
X3 Here is my opinion. Does it work correctly? Are you pretty sure he replaced the disc, the pressure plate, and the pilot and throw-out bearings? If he did, then I would say don't worry about it till if and when it becomes a problem. Now if you had to add fluid more then once before the clutch job, then I would be back over there.

Now on the ones that have a internal slave/throw-out bearing setup, I ALWAYS do the slave and master with a clutch. Because you could just put a throw-out bearing on the old slave, I have a whole box of them. A new internal comes with its own throw-out bearing, so you wind up with two. But on this S-10 it is on the outside so no big deal. But he should have done what you told him to do. Oh well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts