Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any recommendations for changing double bulb 4" T12 fluorescent bulbs to LED? HD has dozens, Amazon has 100's and Fleabay has 1,000's.
The shop has about 40 fixtures all are double bulb 4'. So I need about 80 bulbs.

Thanx

·
Registered
438 Posts
Any recommendations for changing double bulb 4" T12 fluorescent bulbs to LED? HD has dozens, Amazon has 100's and Fleabay has 1,000's.

The shop has about 40 fixtures all are double bulb 4'. So I need about 80 bulbs.

Thanx
Im interested myself....only need 20 bulbs for mine.....been looking every where on the net. Or maybe highbay style LEDs....shop has 12 ft ceiling

·
Registered
17,096 Posts
I asked the same thing two weeks ago about T8’s and it seems direct wire (bypass ballast) is the only way to go for several reasons (energy usage, not having to maintain ballasts).

I will start my conversion project in the not too distant future.

One thing I haven’t heard addressed is whether still having some fluorescent units with ballasts operating on the same circuit as LEDs might be a problem......I think it’s possible.

·
Registered
6,308 Posts
You can get LED replacements. It's very simple, and extremely affordable.
You simply bypass the ballast, and run 120V directly to the bulbs.
That being said...
Some replacement bulbs are single end powered... and some are double end powered.

Single End: Only uses one mount (tombstone) to power the light. The white wire goes to one prong on the mount, the black wire goes to the other prong. These are more of a pain, as you usually need replacement tombstones to wire them up like this.

Double End: With these bulbs, the white wire goes to one end of the bulb, and the black wire goes to the other end of the bulb. These are a lot easier to wire, as you just splice into the existing wires. No need to try and hook up both 120V wires to only one tombstone.

I've used the double end powered ones, and have been extremely happy.

As for color. 5k gives a nice, white light. 6k starts to get a little bit of blue, but is not bad. Above 6k is too much blue in my opinion.

Bulbs can be clear or frosted. Bulbs with clear covers... you can see each individual LED. If the bulbs are going to be in your direct frame of view, you do not want the clear covers. Frosted covers are easier on the eyes, and still very bright. I recommend these in most situations.

·
Registered
6,308 Posts
LOTS of them available on Amazon. That's where I got mine. Hyperikon is one of the top brand names. Those are all good stuff. Other quality stuff out there as well. I've used three different brands, and have been happy with them all.

·
having fun
31,303 Posts
i redid my whole shop,we to home depot and bought some basic led 4 foot strips-simply removed the bulbs from the housing,snapped off the end the old bulbs sat in,remvoed the metal cover,took the power wires off the balast-mounted the leds to the old cover,drilled the hole inside new led through old cover and attached existing wires from the power source to new led,snapped covers back on with new leds on the outside,looks fine and works well

·
Registered
746 Posts
Bees lighting
Bypass ballast
3yrs now very happy $6.50 each

I'm not saying those aren't quality bulbs but you can certainly get cheaper. I bought mine on ebay for right around $3.60 per tube, depending on how many you buy. That's the price for 50 and includes free shipping. It's been a couple years now and no problems with them so far.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/10-100-PACK-LED-G13-4FT-4-Foot-T8-Tube-Light-Bulbs-18W-6000K-CLEAR-OR-MILKY-LENS/351708701296?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&var=620665670876&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

You can get LED replacements. It's very simple, and extremely affordable.
You simply bypass the ballast, and run 120V directly to the bulbs.
That being said...
Some replacement bulbs are single end powered... and some are double end powered.

Single End: Only uses one mount (tombstone) to power the light. The white wire goes to one prong on the mount, the black wire goes to the other prong. These are more of a pain, as you usually need replacement tombstones to wire them up like this.

Double End: With these bulbs, the white wire goes to one end of the bulb, and the black wire goes to the other end of the bulb. These are a lot easier to wire, as you just splice into the existing wires. No need to try and hook up both 120V wires to only one tombstone.

I've used the double end powered ones, and have been extremely happy.

As for color. 5k gives a nice, white light. 6k starts to get a little bit of blue, but is not bad. Above 6k is too much blue in my opinion.

Bulbs can be clear or frosted. Bulbs with clear covers... you can see each individual LED. If the bulbs are going to be in your direct frame of view, you do not want the clear covers. Frosted covers are easier on the eyes, and still very bright. I recommend these in most situations.

I agree with all this. Ballast bypass and double end power is definitely the way to go. I have 6.5k color ones all through the garage and like the bright white light they provide. Some people like a "warmer" more yellow color for the house but I like the whiter ones even there.

I have mostly frosted but do have a few clear ones in the basement. I don't notice any difference in the brightness between the two.

I have a shitload of fixtures between the house, garage and shop and most of them have now been converted. After you do a couple you get the knack and can knock out rewiring a fixture in no time.

Well worth it. The garage lights fire right up no matter how cold it is and provide a nice bright light for less than half the electricity usage.

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
I bought a few at home depot for 20bucks for a 4 pack of 5000k direct fit .put them in random spots to compare to my high efficiency flourescents.They are def brighter and whiter and so far no problems.Will continue to swap them out as needed till all 80 are switched over to led.Does not seem to be neccesary to rewire the fixtures to me.

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
Mine are actually T8 bulbs and fixtures ,maybe the ballasts are more compatible to the led conversion?

·
Registered
5,254 Posts
I'm not saying those aren't quality bulbs but you can certainly get cheaper. I bought mine on ebay for right around $3.60 per tube, depending on how many you buy. That's the price for 50 and includes free shipping. It's been a couple years now and no problems with them so far.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/10-100-PACK-LED-G13-4FT-4-Foot-T8-Tube-Light-Bulbs-18W-6000K-CLEAR-OR-MILKY-LENS/351708701296?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&var=620665670876&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

I agree with all this. Ballast bypass and double end power is definitely the way to go. I have 6.5k color ones all through the garage and like the bright white light they provide. Some people like a "warmer" more yellow color for the house but I like the whiter ones even there.

I have mostly frosted but do have a few clear ones in the basement. I don't notice any difference in the brightness between the two.

I have a shitload of fixtures between the house, garage and shop and most of them have now been converted. After you do a couple you get the knack and can knock out rewiring a fixture in no time.

Well worth it. The garage lights fire right up no matter how cold it is and provide a nice bright light for less than half the electricity usage.
I agree back in January I bought the retrofit kits and converted 20 8ft flourecent fixtures in my shop to 4 ft 5000K frosted direct wire. Green LED zone is where I bought the bulbs and kits as they were on sale.

Kits

https://www.greenledzone.com/led-t8-retrofit-kit-converts-2-8ft-fluorescent-tubes-into-4-4ft-led-tube-lights/

I was stuck buying the more expensive hybrid tubes because I have a couple LED lights in my shop and house that were not direct wire and didn't want to keep 2 different types of spare tubes and have to worry about mixing them up.

https://www.greenledzone.com/2-300-lumens-t8-4ft-led-tube-light-18w-4000k-or-5000k-frosted-only-hybrid-dual-mode-nano-plastic-ballast-compatible-or-direct-wire-100-277v-single-or-double-end-ul-dlc/

·
Registered
8,437 Posts
I use the amazon hyperikon double ended(easier to wire) ballast bypass and they work great. 3 years on 24 bulbs going strong!

·
Registered
8,437 Posts
Mine are actually T8 bulbs and fixtures ,maybe the ballasts are more compatible to the led conversion?
T8 and t12 are same fixtures, different ballasts. You can run them in there no problem, just get ballast bypass bulbs and you’re gtg

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just pulled one of mine down and they have some type of electronic component in each socket end. Nothing like the old ones I was used to seeing with the big ballast in the center.

·
Registered
6,308 Posts
Just pulled one of mine down and they have some type of electronic component in each socket end. Nothing like the old ones I was used to seeing with the big ballast in the center.
If you have the cheap 4 ft fixtures that are pretty much an 'all in one' unit... it's usually easier to simply replace the whole fixture with a similar LED unit. These can be bought cheap... for around $20 or so.

Where you save big with replacing fluorescents, is with 8 ft bulbs. There is absolutely no comparison in light output, and they come on no matter how cold it is. I bought some for dad's garage that had double rows of LED's. Amazing how much light those put out! If you have 8 ft fluorescents, and haven't switched over to LED conversion bulbs, you need to have your ass kicked. lol

If they are high up in the air, clear covers are fine. If they are closer to the ground and in the line of sight, the frosted covers are a lot easier on the eyes. Actually, I don't see any brightness advantage in the clear covers. If you're having a hard time deciding, go with the frosted covers.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
746 Posts
I bought a few at home depot for 20bucks for a 4 pack of 5000k direct fit .put them in random spots to compare to my high efficiency flourescents.They are def brighter and whiter and so far no problems.Will continue to swap them out as needed till all 80 are switched over to led.Does not seem to be neccesary to rewire the fixtures to me.

The problem with doing it that way is those LED bulbs still use your old ballast so if the ballast dies the bulbs won't work. That's why I think it's better to buy the direct wire LED bulbs and rewire the fixture. Then you never need to worry about ballasts again. Also I'm not certain but I think the type of LED bulb that still uses your ballasts use more energy than the direct wire type.

·
Trolling the Trolls
15,121 Posts
Lowes and HD have only had T8's when I looked.

Worried about ballasts? Not me, They are already 40+ years old now, back when shit lasted.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Worried about ballasts? Not me, They are already 40+ years old now, back when shit lasted.

There is that for sure.

The problem with older non-electronic ballasts for me was that my garage is unheated and in the winter the lights didn't want to come on. With my direct wired LEDs it's instant light no matter what the temperature.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts