Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Back to the front!
5,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a brand new Moroso tire gauge last year. Used it once, and the piece of junk never went back to zero. I would like to replace it with a different gauge of good quality. Does it have to be a dry gauge, or will liquid filled work as well? Is one better to use then the other? And as long as the gauge can be used with oxygen, it should be ok as a replacement, right?

·
Premium Member
49,715 Posts
I have a gauge that cost me $125.00 (sorry, I can't remember the brand). In my shop toolbox I have a cheap shit, Taiwan or Chinese made, battery operated digital gauge I bought at Advance Auto Parts for under 10 bucks. I bought it for use around the shop on non-critical things like the lawn mower.

Just for shits & giggles I tested out the cheap-ass gauge against my high-dollar gauge. The cheap-ass gauge was spot on to the high dollar gauge right down to the 1/2 pound. It kinda pisses me off.

Take it for what it's worth..... Jus' sayin'

·
Back to the front!
5,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well ever since my moroso gauge shit the bed, I have been using a $15 digital gauge from the hardware store. Has been working fine, except now this season it keeps screwing up on me, and I have to carry a screw driver around to hit the stem to drop pressures. I wanted to get a gauge for the Moroso one to use it again and the nifty little feature that lets air out of the valve, but I did not want to spend a fortune on a gauge

·
Back to the front!
5,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not looking to spend a fortune. I see that a company called "QuickCar" sells liquid filled replacement gauges on Summit. Wondering how accurate they are?

·
Registered
17,399 Posts
Don't make too big a deal with it. I had a liquid filled Moroso tire gauge and I had to replace the gauge itself. Just chose one on this page.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#atmospheric-pressure-gauges/=tbob9f

Measure the size of your gauge (fitting and gauge OD) and one of those on that page should be fine. I bought a regular gauge without the liquid fill. The protective rubber cover that came with the moroso gauge fit the replacement gauge I bought.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Don't make too big a deal with it. I had a liquid filled Moroso tire gauge and I had to replace the gauge itself. Just chose one on this page.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#atmospheric-pressure-gauges/=tbob9f

Measure the size of your gauge (fitting and gauge OD) and one of those on that page should be fine. I bought a regular gauge without the liquid fill. The protective rubber cover that came with the moroso gauge fit the replacement gauge I bought.
^This is what I was about to suggest! You can add it to the hose from your old gauge and have the deflating valve. We have calibrated pressure references at work, and the most accurate tire gauge I have is one with an Ashcroft industrial gauge attached to the hose from an old Jeg's gauge. The old teal/blue colored compact digital gauges from Slime (used to sell at Wal-Mart for $6-$8 ) were surprisingly accurate, but they do eventually quit working (and the battery is built in so not easily replaced). Unfortunately Slime replaced it with a model that looks similar but is silver & black, and it only reads 0.5 psi increments and is not as accurate.

Don't bother with the liquid filled gauge, all that will do is introduce the potential of errors with different temperatures.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
I've been building a few for fun, I got a post in the classifieds here. Because of the prices I've seen for junk stuff. If you have want within .5% you are gonna pay. Within 1% is semi cheap.

·
Registered
21,564 Posts
The only real reason to use a liquid filled gauge is for needle flutter on something that would otherwise hammer the gauge. I don't see that as an issue with a tire gauge. Being liquid filled does not necessarily = better gauge.

I wish I knew specifics, but many brand names that used to be considered good, solid quality have gone downhill in the last 20 years

You have a hydraulics / hose / pneumatics shop in "your town?" Most of these places carry generic decent quality gauges.

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
I use a Quick Car gauge, had it for years. Some gauges like my QC have a vent on them to equalize atmospheric pressure to in inside the gauge head pressure allowing the needle to return to zero.

·
Back to the front!
5,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey guys, I should have been more clear...I am only replacing the actual gauge, and using the rest of the tool (hose and release valve) still. I was not going to go crazy on a gauge, and was going to stop by a hydraulics place tomorrow that is local and see what they had. I just wasn't sure if I should use liquid filled or not. I don't have the rubber cover with my moroso gauge, but maybe I should get one, as I am thinking the banging around might have been what screwed it up.

I figure as long as I use the same gauge all the time, even if it is of lower quality, the repeatability should stay consistent for the most part

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
Lots of guages can be calibrated. Might be able to fix yours. All you need is a repeatable guage and always use same guage.

·
Back to the front!
5,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I ended up buying a gauge at a local hose/hydraulic parts house...All that matters is that it zeros and if it is the only I use I should be fine.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts