Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it ok to helicoil these or do they need to be welded up and rethreaded ? The threads were pulled out on several when the crank broke, on Dart Pro 1's if that matters.

·
Registered
6,311 Posts
Many are already helicoiled so yes it will be fine.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I prefer a Timesert over helicoils but yes they can easily be repaired without welding if they haven't been too beat up

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I prefer a Timesert over helicoils but yes they can easily be repaired without welding if they haven't been too beat up
Whats the difference in the 2

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nevermind, I found them on the web, they do look a lot better than the heli-coil brand, Thanks

·
Super Moderator
35,256 Posts
If there is a structural issue in the head that originally caused the failure, such as an area that is too thin, a helicoil is not the correct method, you need some form of steel insert either made, or purchased such as the timesert... or, steel pipe plug is another good fix with a tapered thread which will give you a radial load around it... which, in my mind gives more strength.

·
Registered
13,485 Posts
many times when a common original diameter timesert has pulled out, you then only have the option to weld it up or to go to the larger outside diameter KINGSERT or BIGSERT.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Re: Repairing Rocker Stud Threads On Alum. Heads (Bad News !!)

Tore the heads down today, 7 out of 8 intake threads are pulled and 1 of them had a helicoil allready and has a small crack, maybe 1/2'' on the surface directly under the guide plate.The crack stops where the surface turns down. Can anyone pm me a price on what it would cost to weld that crack and machine the surface and install timeserts in all 8 intake stud holes ? All the exhaust are fine, the reason the intake gave way was due to porting made them a little weaker i guess since the have no bottom in them like the exhaust. These are Dart pro 1 230 heads ported by Rehr-Morrison in 2004. Thanks for any help on this.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Forgot to say what caused this, scat 4340 crank broke right behind timing gear. You can imagine what happened from that point !! Only damage was to the heads and valvetrain though.Really got lucky on that one.

·
Butch
8,208 Posts
Is this your fesh 400?

I dont want to ask but did you have a TCI or Fluidampr balancer?

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Is this your fesh 400?

I dont want to ask but did you have a TCI or Fluidampr balancer?
No, its a motor i just bought, it had a scat 4340 crank and an ATI damper.Thats the second Scat crank i know of that has broke. Did not hurt the Little M block or the damper, just head and valvetrain damage.Needless to say, i wont use a Scat crank on this build.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts