Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My lil bro gave me a Savage Mark II but he had decided to paint the gun stock and most of the scope with a camoflauge paint kit. I want to remove that and have the gun appear stock with the synthetic stock and black scope again. How can I go about removing the paint without hurting the stock and scope body?

·
Beer makes me pee
9,784 Posts
Wow good luck with that. I would try some laquer thinner on the scope. If it was rattle can paint that might take it off without damaging the finsh of the metal. The stock being plastic you need to be careful as the thinner could melt the plastic. Might just want to strip as much as you can and repaint it with paint made for plastic.

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had thought about the thinner melting the plastic... I dont know what to use other than sanding and a wire brush. I dont want to mess the checkering up.. so sanding and wire brush may be out. I would love to find a decent wood stock and start over but cant seem to find anything on line... and a repaint would be much cheaper.

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, Boyds has one for $49 dollars. I'll be going that route. How hard is it to change a stock? I have never done one.

·
Registered
99 Posts
i've only done it on remington 700's and my ruger 10/22... the remingtons were 2 allen bolts and the ruger was 1 screw... you can get way more complex with bedding and shit if its a high precision rifle etc.. but in your case should be a very easy swap... check youtube for videos of people tearing down your rifle... i've never had trouble finding videos for any of my guns

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sweet, Gonna order one of these soon and get it changed over. Thanks YB.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Just box it up and send it to me ill take good care of it....

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Haha No thanks. I wish I had a heavy barrel or strawboss had the regular barrel. I'd offer to buy his stock stock...

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
Why don't you just try painting it black. If you don't like the way it turns out then change the stock. You still have to paint to scope anyway.

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm going to I guess. See how it looks in all black again.

·
Registered
5,191 Posts
TSP Trisodium Phosphate powder can be purchased at hardware and building centers. Just read directions then step it up like you pill it to kill it :)

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Was done 3 years ago 750 miles away from where I live.. No can to say the least.

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Spray bomb FTW. I found a stock on Boyds for 50...may order that later but for now Im into it for $.99.. I do have to get some remover ( that wont hurt the bluing) to remove the paint from the action, and scope.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts