Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my daughter a nice little '06 Tacoma about six months ago. It was owned by an old boy nearby in Galveston and he took great care of it. The engine has a white powdery oxidation on all the aluminum parts, probably from spending its life near the Gulf.

Is there anything safe to use that I can spray on the engine that will remove/neutralize the oxidation? I know it's not hurting anything, but if there's an easy way to remove it I'd like to try. I've seen reference to Alumabrite, but only in the context of big rigs and boats. Not really in a setting where it will be sprayed on hoses, belts, wiring, etc.

·
Son of Mr. David-get it ?
15,918 Posts
I bought my daughter a nice little '06 Tacoma about six months ago. It was owned by an old boy nearby in Galveston and he took great care of it. The engine has a white powdery oxidation on all the aluminum parts, probably from spending its life near the Gulf.

Is there anything safe to use that I can spray on the engine that will remove/neutralize the oxidation? I know it's not hurting anything, but if there's an easy way to remove it I'd like to try. I've seen reference to Alumabrite, but only in the context of big rigs and boats. Not really in a setting where it will be sprayed on hoses, belts, wiring, etc.
We have that Alumabrite at work.

Wicked shit.

Just don't get it on anything other than aluminum

·
Registered
18,202 Posts
Will be interesting to see how the OP takes the effort to inform all how he made out with the miracle in a bottle. Regardless of the chemical cleaner the pores of the aluminum after cleaning will be prone to oxidation due to the pH of the agent.
There are numerous "aluminum" surface protectors advertised for protecting alum wheels, rocker covers, water pumps etc. to be utilized after the cleaned surface is passivated.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Do not use Alumabrite at full strength. We water it down at least 50/50 to clean aluminum horse trailers and then wash it down with soapy water then rinse with water several times.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts