Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I'm interested in taking out the crash bars in the doors of my 1986 Buick Regal in order to lighten it up. This car is in very good shape and the paint is perfect. Is it possible to remove the crash bars without ruining the paint on the door? If so how is it done? Approximately how much weight can be saved?

Thanks
John

·
Registered
706 Posts
I took the door bars out of BU...i do believe they were 14 pounds a piece>>It would be really tough to get them out wit out wrecking the paint...at a bare minimumyou will have to paint the jambs..you have to cut the crash bar in half to get it out of the shell...

·
$carface
1,547 Posts
I just took some out of a G body car last night with a plasma cutter... I used a thin piece of sheet metal in between the door skin and the crash bar as there is about 1/2" clearance between the door skin and crash bar, Didn't hurt the outer paint at all. We also removed a good amount of metal from the inner door just under the inside door panel...the door panel covers it up anyway so why not. I will weigh it all tonight and check back in with the totals.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for all the replies. Looking for the best way to do this and save the most weight. Hope to hear your totals BBchevelle. I was thinking about cutting some of excess out behind the panel too. Keep the ideas coming.

Thanks
John

·
www.ULTRA-CARBON.com
12,739 Posts
The paint is perfect? I wouldn't risk it for 20 pounds, personally. There are about 1000 other places on a Regal to save weight. Yes, it's a free 20 pound savings. No, I wouldn't do it to a nicely painted car. Then again, I wouldn't get rid of my power windows for anything either.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts