Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am wanting to remove the cranks and regulators from the backseat 1/4 windows of my 70 Chevelle for some weight reduction (nobody can sit back there anyway). Do you guys have tips on how to hold the stock windows up after that stuff is removed? What is a good clean way to do this? Post pics if you can. Thanks

·
Registered
15,176 Posts
Here is what I did on my 69 Camaro 1/4 windows.
On the windows, the 2 studs on the glass that the track is bolted to, well I took vibration mounts and threaded them onto the studs.
Then took a piece of 1" aluminum flat bar and formed 2 "L" shaped brackets.
I pop riveted the short part of the "L" to the top of the inner window frame (where the top of the rear door panel sits on), then pushed the glass up tight to the seal, marked on the long end of the "L" where the studs on the vibration mounts were at, drilled a hole in the "L" bracket and bolted the vibration mount to the bracket.
Haven't had any issues and if you need to take out the glass, take off the door panel, and remove the two nuts on the vibration mount and the glass will drop down.
I attached a link to the vibration mount that I'm referring two: http://www.amazon.com/JW-Winco-451-...=1406133405&sr=8-17&keywords=vibration+mounts
BUT this is not the one I got, you have to measure what the distance is between the bracket and the glass to make sure you get the right one.
I think the one's I used were either 5/8" or 3/4" thick but one side had a stud and the other side was threaded.

·
Security jus sayin crew
50,209 Posts
I have been thinking bout this as well . But I have all steel in the car so I need to get that out first

Just sayin

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks bruce69camaro, that doesn't sound too bad.

Just curious, how many LBS. did you lose by ditching the rear 1/4 window regulators and track? I was looking inside the 1/4 panel and it seems to be less stuff in there than I thought. Maybe I should use lexan for those 2 windows instead to lose a little more combined with the regulators and track.

·
Registered
15,176 Posts
Sorry, I actually pitched things before I weighed them, but I'm guessing that the window mechanism/ tracks, maybe weighs 10-15lbs for both sides.

I thought about getting some 3/8" lexan and tracing the perimeter of the 1/4 window and using that, but since I still have all the factory glass in the car, 2 lexan, 1/4 windows won't really matter.

·
Security jus sayin crew
50,209 Posts
Sorry, I actually pitched things before I weighed them, but I'm guessing that the window mechanism/ tracks, maybe weighs 10-15lbs for both sides.

I thought about getting some 3/8" lexan and tracing the perimeter of the 1/4 window and using that, but since I still have all the factory glass in the car, 2 lexan, 1/4 windows won't really matter.
Just go to fiberglass

1 - 8 of 8 Posts