Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of you guys run a fan-type Remote Transmission Cooler? If so, What Brand and Part Number?

I have a Rossler TH400 with a Chance 5500 RPM 9" Converter. 1970 442 Car weighs approx. 3500 lbs.

I've spoken to Derale and they only gave me "1" Option; their # 65861....They said I need to run this Cooler and that's it.....no other choices. I would try to go with this Cooler, but it is 8-1/2" tall!...Having a tough time of finding a way to mount it under the rear of the Car, without it "hanging down" too low.

Any thoughts/recommendations would be appreciated.

·
Registered
801 Posts
That's a biggin but nice. Don't know if it's 5 bills nice.
I'd run through your radiator and get the biggest cooler you can fit preferably in front of the radiator if possible.
Stay away from tube style coolers.
I had something close to this (B&M 70268 B&M SuperCooler Oil Coolers | Summit Racing ) 3400lbs, 427 BBC, 13:1 compression, 4500 stall and I never had a problem driving anywhere on the street. Today knowing more I'd put a bigger cooler on the car but at the time it's what I had.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's a biggin but nice. Don't know if it's 5 bills nice.
I'd run through your radiator and get the biggest cooler you can fit preferably in front of the radiator if possible.
Stay away from tube style coolers.
I had something close to this (B&M 70268 B&M SuperCooler Oil Coolers | Summit Racing ) 3400lbs, 427 BBC, 13:1 compression, 4500 stall and I never had a problem driving anywhere on the street. Today knowing more I'd put a bigger cooler on the car but at the time it's what I had.
Thanks for the info....... Same thoughts about the Derale @ $ 500...I have a New Northern Radiator, but it doesn't have Transmission Cooling Porting in it. I wanted to "isolate" the Trans. Temp. away from the Radiator, so I could do a better job of keeping the Engine Cool...Had lots of hot days in the past, where I was "high tailing it" back to the Pits with a 220+ Engine Temp....Not fun....A little stressful... Had a B&M in front of the Radiator for years back in the 80's with a 3800 stall Converter, but this time, as I have much higher HP (760) and Stall, I want to make sure I do the most I can to keep the fluid cool.

·
Registered
801 Posts
In that case I'd do the biggest you can in front with a fan. I never like when customers mount the cooler under the car, jmo. Heat is an auto trans worst enemy.
I'd have a gauge to monitor it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In that case I'd do the biggest you can in front with a fan. I never like when customers mount the cooler under the car, jmo. Heat is an auto trans worst enemy.
I'd have a gauge to monitor it.
I'm not real crazy about the Cooler being "under"(y) the car either...Too many chances for rocks, leaks, etc. Thanks for your advice.

·
Registered
801 Posts
If you're just going to the track it's one thing. But if you're going to drive it on the street it's another. I've got a few who have 5500 stalls who drive theirs on the street with no problem.

·
Registered
263 Posts
This is my setup and works well. Dual flat plate coolers plumbed in parallel, mounted about four inches ahead of the radiator (radiator removed in this picture). I do run a temp gauge and have no issues keeping temps in check (below 160) track or street. I’m running -6 lines out and in. This is with 1000+hp NA 600ci with a 6200 converter in front of my glide. I change fluid/filter once a year and fluid looks/smells/tastes new still.

·
A Senior Member
3,764 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
95 Posts
Best we’ve used is a stacked plate made by DANA marketed under the Tru-Cool Long brand. Model H7B or next smaller M7B. Take a look and see what you think!

·
Drag Week Survivor
14,425 Posts
i run a stacked plate cooler under my car. it might be 32 or 40 rows. then i added a 12" spal fan to it and made a little box to divert air to it while moving. 3 drag weeks and just finished Midwest Drags with it like this and towing a little trailer.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
This is the one you want

The one you listed is a low pressure drop cooler. They sell this cooler without the thermal bypass. Myself I am not sure I would ever install that bypass (unless I lived in sub zero temps) These are great coolers-good quality. They sell them without the bypass.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The one you listed is a low pressure drop cooler. They sell this cooler without the thermal bypass. Myself I am not sure I would ever install that bypass (unless I lived in sub zero temps) These are great coolers-good quality. They sell them without the bypass.
Thanks for the info.!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts