Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
Yup. Those high rpm small blocks were cool. Heck, there were a bunch of old VW guys that used to race in Modified and did pretty well. Comp is pretty cool, but if you've never seen a Modified race, well, you missed out on a ton of cool cars.

·
Outrunning the Big Blocks
3,270 Posts
My favorites,
Terry Hoard C/MC RX3 rotary
Don Bowles A/SM Fairmont
Buddy Ingersol AA/MC Pinto 2.0 Turbo
There were a few Capris running B or C/SM
Any G/ or H/MP car period.

·
Cry me a river
1,470 Posts
Great write up on Mike !!!

·
Never hit Newbie Thread
10,394 Posts
There is an old 70-73 Camaro running around here locally that used to race Modified. It was painted white and had a red stripe. I think it was campained by Albert Clark, but Im not 100% sure... I think it is still as it was back in the 70's.

Vanilla

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Modified Elim is where certain big-name, big-dollar Nitrous engine guys here in Spartanburg, SC made their bones. 11,000 RPM+ on massaged factory junk!

Funny how everybody forgets where these guys got their start.

·
Registered
48,027 Posts
Great stuff, Bobby. It brings back memories. It also shows me just why great drag racing and TV don't mix. Today, the "show" is designed for TV. Just a few classes to keep the dull viewers tuned in. But back in the day, before TV, the spectators had a feast watching all the great racing in all those classes. The gas coupe-sedan classes, the street roadster classes, the sports car classes, stock, super stock, factory experimental, modified, and on and on.

Today we have three classes. I almost don't count the bikes as a class but that's just me. All the dragsters look the same. If you painted them all the same color (flat black for instance), I bet even the driver's couldn't tell them apart. Same with the funny cars. Take away the grille decals and paint them the same color and they would look the same too. Pro Stock. Some may disagree but I think this class is beyond boring these days. All the cars are good, all the drivers are good and the winner beats the loser by a half a car length on every pass. It's like watching a bunch of alligators, if you've seen one you've seen them all. There is no diversity anymore. NASCAR can get away with it, they always have, but drag racing has always been about diversity. Now, in the three classes, every car is the same and every combination is the same. They have sucked the fun out of professional drag racing.

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
For you guys in the mid west its great to see the 'Ozark Mountain Super Shifters' keeping those cars alive.

·
Registered
48,027 Posts
Hey Bobby, do you remember the old NHRA Street Roadster class? Let's see, they had A/SR, B/SR and C/SR if I recall, and also AA/SR for the supercharged cars. The rules for S/R was very simular to the rules for the Gas/Coup-Sedan classes, except that the S/R's had miniture fenders in those days. You didn't need full fenders back then, just enough to cover 1/3rd of the tire. Guys used motorcycle fenders in the front.

One of the hot dogs in S/R in the early 1960's was Hugh Tucker, our of Ventura, CA. Hugh worked at a Pontiac dealership in Ventura and had a 1928 Chevy roadster on '32 Ford rails, and powered by a naturally aspirated (6-carbs) Olds engine, backed up with a LaSalle 3-speed manual trans. I had a real good friend with a flat bottom V-drive ski boat that I used to hang out with up at Lake Tahoe, Dave Stoll. Dave had a supercharged Olds in his boat. Dave owned a very large (I mean VERY large) orange grove, near to Ventura. One day, as guys do, we were talking about how well the blown Olds out of the ski boat might run in a drag car. Dave Stoll, meet Hugh Tucker.

The Tucker-Stoll AA/SR went on to dominate the class for several years, and won several of the Middle Eliminator and Junior Eliminator catagories and NHRA national events.

The S/R's at that time were almost always based on 1932 Ford bodies, Model A Ford bodies or sometimes, Model T pick-up bodies. NHRA had never seen a 1928 Chevy body before and we convinced them that the big extended "gas tank" in the back was "stock", which gave the roadster a much longer rear overhang (to stash ballast). The car used quarter-eliptic rear springs (something that we learned from Stone-Woods & Cook) and very long "ladder bars". With the blower motor, the 3-speed manual was history and the roadster ran one of the first B&M Hydro Sticks (4-speed automatic). I'll see if I can scrounge a few old photos for ya.

·
Banned
71,969 Posts
Loved the Modified Class !!
High rpm small blocks backed with a manual trans !!

As much as I LOVE 4-port Hilborn injection !!

·
Banned
71,969 Posts
There is an old 70-73 Camaro running around here locally that used to race Modified. It was painted white and had a red stripe. I think it was campained by Albert Clark, but Im not 100% sure... I think it is still as it was back in the 70's.

Vanilla

That was Albert's signature paint scheme.

I'm looking at a picture of the Corvette he owned and was driven by Don Coonce. It also is white with his "signature" red stripe.

The window is down so I can't be sure what class it ran and my memory is kinda fuzzy but I think it was F/G.

They ran Pro-Stock for a number of seasons too. Both small block and when it went to 500 inches.

·
Eddie Haskell
7,851 Posts
Here are a few:

Larry Kopp
Lee Dean
Dennis Ferrara
Charlie Garrett
Coleman Roddy
Paul Mercure
Paul Blevins

They were some of my favorites.......

Oh yea! "Merc" still driving an early Camaro..........Checkmate

·
green to go
2,147 Posts
That was Albert's signature paint scheme.

I'm looking at a picture of the Corvette he owned and was driven by Don Coonce. It also is white with his "signature" red stripe.

i've been looking for some color shots of Coonce's 66/67 nova...before my time , but those modified production cars were the $#!T.....there were a bunch from my area... brandon

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.