Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned...Four Times
40,200 Posts
I was on, apparently, Pan Am's last flight from Germany. I landed in New York on a Pan Am flight and had a connecting flight with them. We landed and were told we had to go to another airline, which was on the other side of the airport, to get a connecting flight. There were no Pan AM agents or employees to be seen once we got of the plane. It was kind of weird. They closed up and disappeared. I can not say for sure we were the last flight overall but I know Pan Am ceased operations that day. It would of been nice to have heard that news before we left Germany. O-well such is travel.

·
Brewmaster
12,591 Posts
I still have a Pan Am pin from flying London Heathrow back to LAX in 1982. Still remember the smell of those seats, bleh.

·
Aviation Section
25,484 Posts
When I was on the 727 and we had an issue (we had 18 727's) in the States we would use several places one being the TWA maint. base in St. Louis. I was ex-Eastern and it reminded me of the close nit group we had here in Miami.

Every time I see an airline go down I think of all the people that lost thier jobs and careers. I was at JFK landing on the last days of Tower Air, seeing all those aircraft parked all around thier building there was very sad.

As an aside, the main runway in St. Louis has a very big crown in it. You will be landing and think it is shorter then it really is as you cannot see the end after touchdown, it is a little un-nerving in the cockpit unless you have been there before, always scared the new First Officers! Dave

·
Aviation Section
25,484 Posts
Loved those DC-8 aircraft, there were also quite a bit of L-1011 aircraft in there along with lots of 727's, my favorite! Dave

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
My old Man was a pilot for TWA for 31 years, then got pushed to American in the merger and then retired April 2012.

·
الكتاب ا
6,697 Posts
1970ls said:
...along with lots of 727's, my favorite! Dave
727 was the first plane I ever flew on. Eastern Airlines, Cedar Rapids to Kansas City circa '81 or '82.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
rember going to the airport to watch my parents leave.. we showed up late but back then you could walk up to the gate and watch the plane leave.. they were already on the plane.. my grandma asked if they could get them and they said just go walk on the plane and see them.. walked on the plane and hugged them. when i got back they already had the hatch shut and had to open it to get off.. the good days of flying.. no one was fighting over a carry on luggage spot. they were just happy to be flying,

·
Aviation Section
25,484 Posts
rember going to the airport to watch my parents leave.. we showed up late but back then you could walk up to the gate and watch the plane leave.. they were already on the plane.. my grandma asked if they could get them and they said just go walk on the plane and see them.. walked on the plane and hugged them. when i got back they already had the hatch shut and had to open it to get off.. the good days of flying.. no one was fighting over a carry on luggage spot. they were just happy to be flying,

And the Women wore dresses and the men had on a nice shirt and pants, no wife beaters and shorts to be seen anywhere and they left the attitudes at home! Dave

·
FUCKING ASSHOLE SINCE '61
7,338 Posts
TWA Constillation, three rudders and the most swoopy fuselage you have ever seen....

We used to go to the Kansas City , MO. airport and just watch them....

Your Pal, Gary

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
TWA Constillation, three rudders and the most swoopy fuselage you have ever seen....

We used to go to the Kansas City , MO. airport and just watch them....

Your Pal, Gary
My first jet flight was on a Pan Am 707 from Travis AFB, Calif. to Honolulu, Wake island and then ended at Kadena AFB, Okinawa. Unfortunately, coming back to the states 18 months later, I left on a Tuesday (Monday, Wednesday, and Fridays were 707's)) which meant 33 hours flying time on a Northwest Orient Super Constellation (3 vertical stabilizers). I think I can still remember the drone of those engines.

·
BigDad T-shirts available
7,455 Posts
Thread needs more hot stewardess pics

Those were the day, not like now with the heifers and the fags

1 - 20 of 28 Posts