Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I was a kid, whenever someone was shutting down their car, they would kill the ignition, then just before the engine was stopped they would tap the ignition back on and off a couple times. What was that all about and why did it dissapear?

·
Registered
6,014 Posts
Never seen that.I remember my buddy when we were kids would rev his engine and shut it off.My grandpa told me he is a goof and for me to never do that.

·
Registered
17,920 Posts
When I was a kid, whenever someone was shutting down their car, they would kill the ignition, then just before the engine was stopped they would tap the ignition back on and off a couple times. What was that all about and why did it dissapear?
What you probably remember is someone trying to stop the engine from "running on" due to what was called "dieseling".

A lot of cars built in the 60 & 70's had a problem with this due to carbon build up, smog equipment and octane being lowered. Sometimes a bad tune up was a contributor. After the engine was shut off it would huff, puff and continue to try and run. It was worse when the engines were hot and sometimes would go on for 20-30 seconds or more.

·
Registered
17,920 Posts

·
Registered
704 Posts
All I can say is stupid people do stupid things.. I see plenty of both on a daily basis.

·
Tire Waster
7,086 Posts
My buddy used to turn his car off. Then immediately restart it. Then turn it off again. It drove me crazy. He said, "I want to make sure it is going to start again."

·
Registered
16,138 Posts
My friend used to do this. He said it was done to clean the plugs Ummm???

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
I remember back in the day shutting the ignition off on the old flat bed truck for a few seconds and turning it back on, Phuckin truck backfired so loud it hurt your ears. :pMade the dang muffler look like the belly of a B52 unloading bombs:cool:....LOL... Sounded like a race car after that.:smt102

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Back in the day it was done to try and clean out gas that would puddle on the floor of tunnel ram manifolds. And made it easier to re-fire the motor the next time.

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
That might be one reason fuel puddling and another might be checking kill switches. if i remember it right there was a autometer tach that would refire the engine a few seconds if you checked the rpm limiter? MSD ignition without the diode in the + wire to the alternator would also cause it to stay running. just my 2 cents worth

·
Yellowbullet Overlord
27,554 Posts
Back in the day it was done to try and clean out gas that would puddle on the floor of tunnel ram manifolds. And made it easier to re-fire the motor the next time.
That's what everyone thought...but...it did go away for a reason.

Cause it was total BS

Monkey see...monkey do.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts