Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Impeach obama
6,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Obviously you are using a computer.

back your shit up, use carbonite, an external hard drive....I dont give a shit.

Do it all the time, computers fail, hard drives fail, motherboards fail, backup constantly.

How important is ALL of the information on your computer???

I am sick of people calling me at late at night telling me they lost their whole business software and telling me they dont have a recent backup.

If you value what you have on your computer, back that shit up.

It is not a question of "if?", it is a question of "when?"

·
coffee extraordinaire
11,218 Posts
X100

I back up most everything on Flash drives. Mainly just family photos & such. Stuff I do not mind loosing I keep on my laptop.

I DL all my movies & music then move them off the laptop straight to EHDD. I have a internal 500GB & it has 390GB free space. Just the OS & programs.
It would suck if I lost my HDD, but it would be more of an inconvenience than anything.

I have had to teach my wife to keep everything on flash drives. She does a lot of translations & is culinary school, so she does A LOT of work on the PC. I had to reformat her computer once & she lost a lot of stuff. Never again. :D

·
Registered
29,548 Posts

Do it all the time, computers fail, hard drives fail, motherboards fail, backup constantly.

I am sick of people calling me at late at night telling me they lost their whole business software and telling me they dont have a recent backup.

If that is your business or job be thankful for fuck ups..

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
What would you recommend to those of us that are not so computer savvy?

·
Tellin' it like it is
9,812 Posts
Learn to get computer savvy. Computers become more important daily, you need to know the ins and outs of them.

·
coffee extraordinaire
11,218 Posts
What would you recommend to those of us that are not so computer savvy?
I use color coded flash drives(if more than one color, sharpie on each what it is) At least 8GB each. That is what I use. But gonna start ordering the 32GB ones from Amazon. Here they are retardedly expensive(about $80).
I am only going that big because I am putting an AV system in the Suburban so I am going to need the space for movies & music videos.

Flash drives are easy, portable & about the only way to screw it up is to break it. You can back up everything & just put them in a drawer. Simple.

·
Registered
6,534 Posts
My mom's pretty cool and she thought a good christmas gift would be an external hard drive.... so far i haven't had to use it but it is nice knowing everything is backed up.

·
coffee extraordinaire
11,218 Posts
I should expand on what I said.
If you have tax returns & important documents that you need & vary rarely will ever use. The best way would be a DVDR(which ever your disk drive can read). Because sometimes computers get lunched due to viruses & such. If you have your flashdrive plugged in it can be erased.
I do not know of ANY virus that can erase DVD's.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Learn to get computer savvy. Computers become more important daily, you need to know the ins and outs of them.
I do realize that and have been learning more, but thanks for your input.:finga:

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
I use color coded flash drives(if more than one color, sharpie on each what it is) At least 8GB each. That is what I use. But gonna start ordering the 32GB ones from Amazon. Here they are retardedly expensive(about $80).
I am only going that big because I am putting an AV system in the Suburban so I am going to need the space for movies & music videos.

Flash drives are easy, portable & about the only way to screw it up is to break it. You can back up everything & just put them in a drawer. Simple.
Thanks, Espresso. I will look into that!

·
Registered
492 Posts
And do it right too. haha I "thought" I backed up everything when I had a buddy change my OS on my laptop but what I actually did was save the shortcut that went to all my files. Lost tons of pics and music and a small amount of business files that I was able to recreate. Sucks bigtime but you live you learn I guess.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
this might be a stupid question but how can you make sure it was backed up to a external drive. I did a backup and when it asked for where to back it up to I told it drive E which is my seagate external drive. but at the end a box poped up saying I had no floppy disk loaded.

·
coffee extraordinaire
11,218 Posts
this might be a stupid question but how can you make sure it was backed up to a external drive. I did a backup and when it asked for where to back it up to I told it drive E which is my seagate external drive. but at the end a box poped up saying I had no floppy disk loaded.
unplug the drive. Plug it back in. When the computer recognizes the drive. open it. Anything you moved there should be there.

also should I unplug the external after doing the backup. is it at risk of viruses while on my puter
Yes you should. A virus can affect any storage device connected to the computer. Some times devices have write protection(read only or password protection) you can turn on. some flash drives have a little switch, some hard drives have an option in the software so you can make it read only. Of course if you ever need to add to it, you need to turn off the write protection(turn back on once you are done).

·
Registered
11,165 Posts

This message brought to you by....

1 - 20 of 22 Posts