Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about moving battery from trunk to under dash to reduce weight and minimize voltage loss on all. I have seen this in several cars but i dont know how to go about running a battery disconnect switch to back of car. ANY SUGGESTIONS would be appreciated

·
Registered
11,387 Posts
If it's in the cockpit it has to be in a metal box to be legal. You can use a remote battery disconnect setup to power the car On/Off using a high current capacity solenoid. All you need at the rear of the car is a low amp capacity switch. Run a small gauge wiring to the switch since all it will see is turning the solenoid On/Off.

Speedwire Systems makes a very nice setup for that.
http://speedwiresystems.com/products

·
Registered
594 Posts
NHRA rules say that the battery kill switch has to be on the Exterior Of The Car, If you move the battery to the front ,You should have the switch some where near the battery Outside of the car Properly Labeled so the can see it in the event of a misshap.

·
Registered
11,387 Posts
are those disconnects legal ?? i was under the impression it needed to be a mechanical type disconnect?
Yes they are legal. You still have a swtich at the back of the car but only need small gauge wiring to connect to it. I've seen guys put one of these switches at the back or use their old one...it's still a mechanical switch. I confirmed legality with a NHRA Division Tech guy.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Yes they are legal. You still have a swtich at the back of the car but only need small gauge wiring to connect to it. I've seen guys put one of these switches at the back or use their old one...it's still a mechanical switch. I confirmed legality with a NHRA Division Tech guy.
cool, i might go this route on the new FED im putting together, it was either a regular switch with a push/pull cable going to it from the back or maybe this i have seen them being advertised lately.

im guessing the switch is normally open ?

·
Registered
11,387 Posts
Moroso makes a plastic box that's legal it does not have to be metal.
Are you certain about that? When I called the Div Tech guy he said if it's in the driver compartment, it has to be in a metal container. This was a year or two ago so maybe it's changed. If you have a Lithium battery a plastic box isn't going to do much except melt down if it catches fire.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Do you have in the book anywhere where it says lithium vs agm type battery? I see where it says metal or approved plastic but I don't see anything about battery type.

BTtery catches fire it's not going to matter you're gonna have a fire, in the car and that's not good!

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
I plumbed my fire system to a piston that will kill pwr if I ever had a fire event, back of the car has a handle.

The lithium battery only being about 8 lbs isn't a huge item weight wise to take and move around, unless it's an extreme effort to lose weight off the car by removing the cable running to the back I don't know if I would bother to be honest.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.