RL 17 powder

.010 off the lands

target @ 65 yards

double and triple checked the bedding, action screws and scope mounts

trigger was modified and is light and crisp

Savage model 16 FCSS

Leupold VX-III 3x9

4-7 keystones

I am no expert, but I find it hard to believe that .5 grains of powder made that much of a difference between 63.5 and 64. I know the bullet is a bit light for the caliber, but I am debating stepping up the weight.

I still have 4 different charge weights of H4831sc to try out.

What do y'all think?

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
Was the 63.5 grain load shot first from a cold barrel?

·
Bovine Scatologist
17,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes, but I never let it get very warm. It took me over an hour to shoot these 9 shots.

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
yes, but I never let it get very warm. It took me over an hour to shoot these 9 shots.
Was the first shot ,the one high right at the top?

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
Half a grain is a HUGE difference. Infact, .2 usually will show a measureable difference.

What time of day? Keep in mind, the way the weather is here if shooting in the morning today, I could see as much as 30* difference from one hour to the next. Though not a huge change in velocity, it will affect grouping. I have NOT loaded with Reloader 17, so I can't say if its affected by temp that much or not since I am unfamilar with the powder.

Another thing that I have saw MANY times is bad grouping from short distances. 65 yards is not very far, and it would seem like you should be easily putting them all in the same hole. But in reality, the bullet has not had time/distance to slow down and stablize out. I have saw several guns that shot poorly at 100yds, yet tightened the group at 200-300. At 65 yds, the bullet is still feeling the shake affect that occurs as it breaks the sound barrier.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Did you check the bullet weight of each bullet as from light to heavy? and group them? I know it sounds crazy but there is a difference between bullets. I know people who check them......

·
Registered
7,325 Posts
7MM WSM

139 gr interlock

RL 17 powder

.010 off the lands

target @ 65 yards

Savage model 16 FCSS

Leupold VX-III 3x9

4-7 keystones

I am no expert, but I find it hard to believe that .5 grains of powder made that much of a difference between 63.5 and 64. I know the bullet is a bit light for the caliber, but I am debating stepping up the weight.

What do y'all think?
I'd use the 64.0 grains of powder as a base load. I think I'd try a mag primer to see if it gives you a more consistent ignition. I'd also be looking at 4350. I have only one book with loading data in it for that round, and where it's at right now is unknown. Also I'd think that a 150 grain bullet might be better than the 139 gr. bullet when you look at the size of that case.
gary

·
Friendly Shit Stirrer
17,285 Posts
7MM WSM

139 gr interlock

RL 17 powder

.010 off the lands

target @ 65 yards

Savage model 16 FCSS

Leupold VX-III 3x9

4-7 keystones

What do y'all think?

Save the target. Next time you shoot a new target put the one here in this picture behind it. Than see what your groups look like.
I think you will be hard pressed to get a sporter weight barrel to shoot much better than 1/2" 3 shot groups.

·
Bovine Scatologist
17,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Was the first shot ,the one high right at the top?

I see what you are alluding to, but what good does it do me in the deer stand if the first shot from a cold barrel is that much different than the second shot from a barrel that is a few degrees warmer?

·
Bovine Scatologist
17,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Did you check the bullet weight of each bullet as from light to heavy? and group them? I know it sounds crazy but there is a difference between bullets. I know people who check them......

no I did not check them. To be honest, i have never checked them and that would probably be a bit over kill for my type of reloading. I don't shoot targets or competitions. This rifle is just a hunting rig, but I llike to have them pretty accurate.

·
Bovine Scatologist
17,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'd use the 64.0 grains of powder as a base load. I think I'd try a mag primer to see if it gives you a more consistent ignition. I'd also be looking at 4350. I have only one book with loading data in it for that round, and where it's at right now is unknown. Also I'd think that a 150 grain bullet might be better than the 139 gr. bullet when you look at the size of that case.
gary

I used the WLRM primers. I agree that a 150 grain bullet would probably do better, but I was looking for better velocity and a bit less kick.

One thing I tweaked was the accu-trigger. I found that if you trim about an 1/8" off the spring you can really get the pull weight down. If it is too light, you just adjust it until it is good.

·
Bovine Scatologist
17,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am going to put on my new Burris FF-II 4-14x44 and I will then bring the target out to ~100 yards and try it again.

·
Registered
634 Posts
GOT TO ASK? "Should I be happy with this?" well the answer depends a great deal on the INTENDED USE of the rifle and how well you shoot under field conditions.
if your shooting white tail deer at 50-70 yards theres no reason to worry, if your shooting them at 500 yards you need a good deal more bench and reload time

·
Registered
7,325 Posts
I see what you are alluding to, but what good does it do me in the deer stand if the first shot from a cold barrel is that much different than the second shot from a barrel that is a few degrees warmer?
ah, but that's the key here! Cold barrel. Your on a deer stand waiting for the local herd to drop by; does that mean you'll have a warm barrel? Nope! I have have seen one .270 Savage 116 print five holes that were about .35" at 100 yards several times over, so I know it can be done. Brother once had a Weatherby in 25-06, that with a cold barrel would put five rounds touching each other on a strait horizontal line.
The one thing that bugged me about the three groups was that the 63.5 grains of powder didn't group all that well compaired to the 64 grains. I think something like 4350 or H450 would be worth a try
gary

·
Registered
7,325 Posts
I used the WLRM primers. I agree that a 150 grain bullet would probably do better, but I was looking for better velocity and a bit less kick.

One thing I tweaked was the accu-trigger. I found that if you trim about an 1/8" off the spring you can really get the pull weight down. If it is too light, you just adjust it until it is good.
ask around to see if you know anybody that's got a few Federal mag primers to spare. But seriously; I doubt that the bullets are going to get you much beyond that triangle you shot. If you can shoot 3/4" groups at 100 yards I'd leave it alone (my brother inlaw's 116 in 30-06 will shoot 3/4" groups with Federal supreme factory loads).
gary

·
Registered
678 Posts
Yes. grouping bullet weights is overkill but I don't get many shots under 300 or 400 yards at game that are standing still. Depending on which rifle and scope setup, I'm using. Zero is 1" high at 200 yards "Leupolds". On others it's a bit farther "Shepherd Scopes." no hold over. Center it and fire. Groups have been same hole testing at 200.

·
Bovine Scatologist
17,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
okay, so I finally got a chance to try the 4831sc. Tried 64, 65 and 66 grains. The 65 grain loads put 3 shots that could be totally covered with a penny and two were almost in the same hole. I think I will stick with that.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts